GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, new guy here! So last week I caved on a new (leftover 17) Silverado Z71. I love the truck! I'm coming from a lifted Jeep Wrangler which I've had for the last 10 years. So this is quite different. I'm doing some small bolt on mods, so thought I'd share.

My only complaint visually is how high the rear end sits compared to the front. I'm a fan of chunky tires that fill wheel wells. So I went a bit against the grain and lowered the rear to "level" it, rather than install the traditional approach of adding a front level kit.

I used Belltech rear lowering shackles part #6401. The kit comes with 3 levels to lower the rear. Two options on the shackles, and also provisions to remove the block between the leaf spring pad and axle. I didn't remove the block, which would have made it totally level. I did use the longest setting (lowest rear stance) on the new shackles. This lowered the rear about 1 1/2 inches.

Then I made a trip to the tire shop and had 285/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs installed. I live in western NY and deal with serious snow. This will be my third set of said tires. I guess I'm a fan boy of them lol. They do great in mud, deep snow, and even ice. So that was pretty much the first change I wanted to make.

If anyone is interested, the 285's fit with no rubbing. With the Belltech lowering shackles the measurement from the ground to the fender lip is 38 1/2" rear, 37 1/4" front. I love the stance.

· Registered
165 Posts
I have the very same truck - assuming 5.3l LT. Mine's still stock (+mudflaps, +tow mirrors). Looking to get a more aggressive tire - you like those 285 compared to stock 265s? Does the 1-inch larger diameter make any noticable difference ?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, mine's a 5.3L with 3.42's. I had all of 125 miles on mine when I swapped the tires. So I really can't give an honest comparison on the tires with this particular truck.

The Duratracs ride on this truck just like they did on my Jeep. Pretty smooth on the road. I'm sure they will be just as capable when the weather turns bad.

· Registered
6,138 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your truck looks good level. I am a fan of a level truck. I dropped the rear much like you on my old 97, and not having traction control, I added about 200 LBS of steel around the receiver hitch for traction. It was a big help in the rain. It doesn't snow here much.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
I only see a tiny difference in the height of the back vs the front, and think it looks great (like a truck) the way it is. But if it bothers you, put some stuff in the bed like a tool box, etc.

Btw the color is fantastic. The tires look great too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.