GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew cab 5.3L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck was stolen a while back and luckily the only thing that really happened was they got the catalytic converter and had started to cut the back passenger seat to get to the motors. Cops caught them with one under the truck cutting the converter, but I digress. I decided to install a Kill switch that would be convenient for me to access but difficult for someone to find. I located the PCM1 fuse which when pulled allows the truck to crank but won't start. I'm going to install a small rocker switch near the top of the post of the roof by the front windshield. You can't see the location from the drivers seat, you have to reach around and feel for it. I will post more pics once installation is all completed.
2004 Silverado.jpg
Fuse Location diagram.jpg
Kill switch location.jpg
PCM1 fuse.jpg
Wire to PCM1 fuse.jpg
2004 Silverado.jpg

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nice truck!

Now I know where you put the switch, hahaha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice truck!

Now I know where you put the switch, hahaha.
Thanks. Now I'll have to put in a second one and hide it somewhere else.:unsure: LMAO

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,280 Posts
Bel's just mad because I stole his Suburban after he told us all he was going on an extended vacation.

By the way, what's your address? 🤣

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Jacob, you stole somebody else's because my suburban is still here.

@I fix planes neighborhood looks very familiar to me with all the palm trees.
He might be close to you Jacob.

I'll bring a jumper wire I can run from pcm1 15A fuse straight to the PCM. Hahaha.
Just kidding.

Reactions: I fix planes

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
480 Posts
i had a friend at work , had a magnet in his dash somewhere , that was a kill switch,
my dad had a thing you plugged in under dash , that disabled if it wasnt plugged in,
toggle switches need to be well hidden for them to work if the thief has time (like in middle of night).
that was my suburban you took jacob !

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I don't know what it was like in the US; but this winter and spring we had a lot of converters stolen. A gang of 6, or 8, guys were caught trucking them out of the province.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's bad here too Ray. I have a 2014 Prius and I make sure it's inside the garage when I'm out of town.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,280 Posts
@bazar01 Lucky ducky... 😬
@brian c lindsey I'll send you "theft-a-versary" pictures. :ROFLMAO:

Crime is starting to trend upwards here, too. The highway is coming to connect the 2 larger cities in the area, so we're a short 45min jaunt from the undesirable area of both cities... The increase in cat thefts has me worried about my shiny, new set. I'll leave my old set in the driveway as a distraction. Given our location, length of gated driveway, and overly "alerting" beagle, I'm not too worried when at home. I'm more concerned when I have to start travelling for work, again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bel's just mad because I stole his Suburban after he told us all he was going on an extended vacation.

By the way, what's your address? 🤣
Well as you can see by all of the snow on the ground, I'm in Alaska ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had a friend at work , had a magnet in his dash somewhere , that was a kill switch,
my dad had a thing you plugged in under dash , that disabled if it wasn't plugged in,
toggle switches need to be well hidden for them to work if the thief has time (like in middle of night).
that was my suburban you took jacob !
I ordered a small round low profile on/off switch. I plan on putting it near the top of the vertical support structure for the roof. You can't see the location if your sitting in the drivers seat. You would have to lean over towards the passenger side and look up at the intersection of the windshield and vertical support to see the switch. Of course nothing is fool proof, I'm just hoping that if someone decides to steal it again, they'll give up before they figure it out. That being said, we had a neighbor that some one backed up to their car in their driveway with an unmarked flat bed tow truck. Winched the car onto the flatbed at 2am in the morning and drove off. All caught on video. Nothing is Idiot proof, I've found Idiots can pretty resourceful.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
1. i had a friend at work , had a magnet in his dash somewhere , that was a kill switch,
2. my dad had a thing you plugged in under dash , that disabled if it wasnt plugged in,
1. A reed switch ?
2. A monojack. That breaks a circuit to relay control coil ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My father used to install a Ford high beam foot switch under the carpet as far up as your left foot could reach, you'd never find it if you didn't know what you were looking for. It cut power to the Fuel pump so all it would do was turn over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My father used to install a Ford high beam foot switch under the carpet as far up as your left foot could reach, you'd never find it if you didn't know what you were looking for. It cut power to the Fuel pump so all it would do was turn over.
Well that would probably eliminate millennials, they probably have never seen a high beam foot switch. I thought of that. I've also heard of people having to do multiple different maneuvers like opening the glove compartment, turn on the headlights, etc to get the vehicle to start. I just want to make it a little more difficult and hopefully if it's not easy to figure out, they'll move on to the next car.
I thought I recognized the Arctic Palm!

This is interesting and, if done correctly could be invisible. I'm intrigued.
Once I have it finally located I'll put up final pics. Now I'm thinking I might locate it in the door well pocket. It's dark down there and the switch is so small it would be almost impossible to spot without knowing exactly where its at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The PCM1 fuse location turns out to control fuel cutoff. I tried tapping into the wire going into the fuse but it didn't kill the fuel for some reason. The only way it killed the fuel was wiring directly into the fuse holder. I cut a fuse in half and then put a fuse inline with the switch. Not as pretty as I wanted, but still effective. The low profile switch is hard to see even when you know where it's located. I'm hoping that a car thief won't want to hang around long enough to figure out what's going on and just move on to greener pastures, especially with video surveillance pointed right at the truck. I wire loomed everything so it looks like factory wiring until you open the top of the fuse box under the hood. I used solder sleeves for the connections.
fuse wire modification.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I discovered that the fuse I was tying into does in fact cut fuel. I noticed that with the switch off, the fuel tank registered Empty. Once I turned the switch on, the fuel gauge would rise and the truck would start. I'm assuming it either cuts the fuel pump or injectors, not sure which and am too lazy to really care. Long story short, truck won't start with switch in off position:).

Reactions: Cowboytrukr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts