GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two subs a 97 and an 02, the 97 does better on fuel then the 01. Both are two wheel drive, I felt the newer one should do a little better but not so. My thinking leads me back to when I had installed wider but the same size in diameter tires on a truck I had quite a few years back, the gas mileage went into the crapper. I am thinking about trying to find narrower rims and tires for the new one, the wide tires are worse in the rain and snow then the narrower ones on the old sub. True they look good but in fact are not as trust worthy in bad conditions. Anyone else swapped to narrow rubber??

Phil

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I didn't swap to narrow rubber but I know what you mean. When I put wider tires on my truck my mileage was terrible. I don't think you'll have to change the rims, becuase if their stock they're probly 7.5" anyways. I doubt changing to a smaller tire will help enough to make it cost efficient. If you like the look of the tires you make want to look into, gearing, programming or an intake to offset the cost of the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have had friends who run narrow rubber and swear by it from everything from mileage to traction. I think its a personal opinion. I am pretty sure that narrower tires will give you better mileage just for the fact that there is less rubber scrubbing on the ashpault when you are ripping around and less mass. But thats just my opinion. Personally I run fatter rubber on everything that I have had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
skinny tires

Last year I changed trucks from a Tacoma '01 4X4 to a C2500 '00 6.5 TD. It has 235 85 16 tires (snows on the rear) and its best fuel economy is the worst on the Tacoma. I am not disapointed for this or for traction . With the snow we have been having this season in eastern Ontario, the chevy's limited slip dif has been working well. SF.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have to agree that going smaller will increase mileage and traction.

I had tires that were 2 sizes larger than what came on it new when I bought it. This last winter I bought snows the regular size that came on it new. And the mileage increased and so did the traction.

Before I put the smaller snows on this year I had all season tires all the way around and in 2 wheel drive I could not make it up my driveway in 4“ of snow. Now with the narrower snows in 2 wheel drive I can go up in two wheel drive in 6” of snow no problem.

One thing you should consider is never go smaller than 2 sizes smaller or larger than the original equipment that came on the truck. It is against the law in most states.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
One thing you should consider is never go smaller than 2 sizes smaller or larger than the original equipment that came on the truck. It is against the law in most states.
What states is it really against the law to have tires bigger or smaller??????? Ive never heard of that

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Just about any state that has a vehicle safety inspection.

Easy enough to find out, just call any local garage that does inspections, they can tell you if they have to flunk you for to large tires.

Here in Maine, Massachusetts it also illegal.

TN they don’t, or didn’t when I lived there have any safety inspection, just smog in the bigger cities.

Like I said just call someone who does inspections in your state.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
hmmm ive never heard of that here in jersey. I know if you have more than a three inch lift you have to tip test it, than you get another sticker on your windshield that says the size of lift and what size tires... I think as long as your trucks headlights and running boards are under a certain height you are ok

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last year I changed trucks from a Tacoma '01 4X4 to a C2500 '00 6.5 TD. It has 235 85 16 tires (snows on the rear) and its best fuel economy is the worst on the Tacoma. I am not disapointed for this or for traction . With the snow we have been having this season in eastern Ontario, the chevy's limited slip dif has been working well. SF.
Did you use the stock rims, I had some concerns about them being a bit wide which may or may not affect side wall flex.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stock rims - the tires are E load rated and don't flex much. Overall dia. is greater but no rub issues and speedo is off by 3-4% I think. Did the math last autumn. SF

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah. Lighter wheels, smaller wheels, and more narrow tires/wheels will definately help out mileage.

I've always had better dry/wet traction with wider tires though. The majority of which has to do with the tire itself. I remember in my last car I went from a 225 to a 245, and the narrow tires were definately better.

But the size had nothing to do with it. The original narrow tire was a MUCH better quality (and expensive) tire and was rated to handle way better in in dry/wet conditions. I later replaced the cheap Nitto 245's with some BFG's and they would have easily beat the narrow tires without even trying. :)

Which is why I run michelin ltx tires on my YD. Great tire. Handles awesome in the dry/wet, for such a big vehicle. They're factory 20's, which are 275's. Big heavy wheel - definately not ideal for gas mileage though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts