GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator started to leak. 214,000 miles on the clock so it’s understandable. I bought a new water pump, new hoses and radiator. The first radiator started out in Texas, travel to Green River, Wyoming, then to the FedEx terminal in North Salt Lake City. That took about five days. It sat at North Salt Lake for four days and then decided to go to Alpharetta, Georgia.

I have no comprehendible explanation for why they decided to send it to Georgia but suffice it to say that when it finally showed up another week later it was destroyed.

While I was waiting for that one to show up I ordered another one. It showed up in three days. I put it in the truck and I was getting ready to put the fan shroud back in place and discovered that this one was bent.

Located the third radiator about 15 minutes from my house for twice the money. Went down to look at it and sure enough it was bad as well. They said they had one located in Riverside CA.

While waiting for that one, I stumbled across another one locally. Finally, an OEM one! The first were only 1.25” thick. Stock is 2”.

All is good now, right? Nope.

For whatever reason, some non thinking person decided that the oil and transmission cooler lines need different quick connect fittings?!?!? WTF?

The factory fitting a have a completely different thread pitch and count than the new ones. On top of that, the same committee decided to decrease the inside diameter by about 1.5mm. What the actual f?

True story. The factory oil and transmission cooler lines on the 8.1 with the Allison are 5/8” with a 7/8” flare. The stupid new fittings are 1.5mm smaller and will not work without some machining. OMG.

Had to buy a 7/8” drill bit and drill them all out.

OEM Factory fitting

Factory diameter, inches.

transmission cooling line

Factory flare diameter

“GUARANTEED FIT” new fittings. Insert eye roll.

“Guaranteed to fit” my azz.

After machining myself. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, even Mishimoto got that right on the new cooler. What the Hail! AC Dumbco...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
What an ordeal!

Greg, on the fittings, there is an o-ring inside that fits and seals the tube OD. How did you deal with that?

In a week, I will be ordering cooling system parts, hope I don't have to suffer the same shipping woes. I don't have any bad experience with RA though.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I feel your pain! I had a similar shipping issue with my new leaf springs. They shipped from Las Vegas probably went 3 miles from my house in Tonopah Arizona, to New Your, sat for a week and finally shipped to my door step. It took 4 weeks from the time I ordered to when I received them. At least they fit without any issues. Glad you got it fixed anyway!

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bel, I took a right angle pick and gently coaxed them out so I wouldn’t contaminate them. I drilled them out and then flushed them with WD, wiped them all down and then washed them throughly with soap and water and blew them out to make sure there were no shavings in any of them.

The o rings slipped right back in without effort.

As if it wasn’t bad enough dealing with all of this junk, I had it all ready to go and started it up and the damn fan was rubbing the shroud!?!?

I even intentionally tweaked the blades to avoid that. So, off came the top of the shroud one more time.

Once more with a vice grip to tweak them even more and all is good now.

I decided to get rid of that ridiculous resonator and just cut in a straight pipe.

Reactions: PlaywithTBI
1 - 5 of 5 Posts