GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Black 2004 Tahoe Z71 with the factory gold pin striping and want to know how easy this would be to remove. I have Goo Gone and love it but wanted to know if anybody has tried this first with good results. Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
it depends if the pin striping is under the clear coat or not. nbing from the factory it may be but if not you should be able to pull it off

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's over the clear coat

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dad and I pulled the stock silver pin stripe off (only to put the Gold pinstripe on). It came off, but its going to take time, we used fingernails and could pull off about 2-3 inches at a time, if we were lucky (it kept tearing), anyways, after about an hour and a half, we had it all off. I then took the goo gone to get any adhesive left off, and it was good to go...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also, totally off subject, I am heading to B'town tomorrow. Any idea if they got 37 cleared up north of Martinsville? I know it was under water from the flooding and that it is restricted to one lane (as of last Friday).

Anyways, let me know if you can...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I used 3M adhesive remover and with an extremely steady hand a straight razor blade, otherwise get it started with your nail and little by little use the remover on a cloth and let it soak the pinstripe a couple minutes and pull at 45 degree angle, repeat often!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
37 is open! We had a ton of flooding from B-Town to Indy.
Thanks for all the help! I'll take some pics and let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
thank you sir.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would use the 3M Pinstripe Removal wheel. It's like 35 bucks and attahes to a drill and doesn't scratch the paint at all. You just push it against it while it's turning and it gives off a rubbery residue that wipes right off. I used it to remove the adhesive when i was debadging and to remove 5 year old stickers on the paint.

·
Registered
217 Posts
another simple way i always remove pinstriping is by taking a Hair dryer and holding it about 4-6 inches way from the pin strip and start to peel back slowely while moving the hairdryer along the pinstripe.. usually pulls all the under adhesive off too..just be careful the truck will start to get hot and u may not realize it at the time but if u dont take a few second breaks here and there u will come back with some little burns on your finger tips...but this has done the trick for me everytime...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts