GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 94 s10 and i have a chance to purchase my roommates 96 c/k stepside. its an automatic with the 5.0l vortec. Im just mainly curious how reliable these engines are since im going to have to sell my s10 to buy this truck and i dont want to get screwed over. The odo read 250k miles on it, everything on the motors been replaced besides the internals of the block, the pistons and such. any help would be nice if at all possable.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. Theres nothing major wrong with that engine ,BUT it has 250,000 miles. Do you how it was taken care of since new? There have been guys on this site that have over 300,000 miles on the Vortec motors but they were the original owners and took care of them. If you know the history of the truck, its priced right and is better than what you are driving then go for it.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome to the club.
X2, maintenance history on this truck is everything. Does your roomate have the service records for the time period that he's owned it? If he's replaced "most everything" except engine internals, he should have records that he can show you for all these repairs. If he can produce them & everything looks to be in order then go for it. If not, then it's just blue sky talk, & I'd have a mechanic check it out before you spend all your money on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck has only had 2 owners, which has been my roommate and his dad. im not sure about service records, we have conflicting work schedules so im not sure when ill be able to ask him if he has them. It does run better than my truck, it runs very well actually, no ticks, misfires, still has plently of power in it and it even shifts like new.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
This might be a good one then Sorcin. Vehicles that have been in the same family since new are generally well taken care of. See if you can talk to his father too. He might have more insight about it than your roomate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i definately will do that, my step dad used to be a mechanic, hes planning on looking at it when he gets back from NC later this week

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I agree with stepan about family owned vehicles being taken care of.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

By the way, how much is he asking?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
If its in good shape then thats a good price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, its pretty clean. couple dings and a little paint fade on the hood, but other than that it looks good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts