GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all have always gave me the best advice. If you will look at the picture attached you will see the issue. Its on the drivers side. Any advice to doctor this up without going to body shop please? I just bought it and just need your opinion to fix. Thank you very much

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Those trucks are know for that. I am working on my 97 passengers cab corner rite now. Being a 3 door extended cab, that corner is the same as a regular cab, cab corner. The only real fix is to cut out the rusted metal and replace it with new metal. That corner is only about $18. If you can not weld, or dont have access to welding equpt., then you can use JB Weld along with some screws, ect. There are a ton of videos on this on youtube. Just type in, cab corner repair with jb weld.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get all of the rust out completely, hit it with rust reformer after. Then you can either buy a new cab corner online already shaped or you can buy some sheet metal and make your own.

Be careful with cutting, this happened on a 1994 extended cab I had and it almost caught the carpet on fire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those trucks are know for that. I am working on my 97 passengers cab corner rite now. Being a 3 door extended cab, that corner is the same as a regular cab, cab corner. The only real fix is to cut out the rusted metal and replace it with new metal. That corner is only about $18. If you can not weld, or dont have access to welding equpt., then you can use JB Weld along with some screws, ect. There are a ton of videos on this on youtube. Just type in, cab corner repair with jb weld.
Thank you sir I will try that, and awesome looking truck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get all of the rust out completely, hit it with rust reformer after. Then you can either buy a new cab corner online already shaped or you can buy some sheet metal and make your own.

Be careful with cutting, this happened on a 1994 extended cab I had and it almost caught the carpet on fire.
Thank you so much for the info I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I got mine before it got to bad. I used ospho rust inhibitor, and navel jelly. Im still working on it, but this is what it looked like after removing the rust. I just cut some filler sheet metal and welded it in the holes.

Reactions: bazar01 and RayVoy

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I sanded it down, and primed it tonight. Maybe I can final sand it and paint it tomorrow after work.

Reactions: RayVoy and bazar01

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Wow, Kenny, did you paint that yourself?
I still need to paint my right rear quarter still in black primer.
IMG_20210612_050250.jpg

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Wow, Kenny, did you paint that yourself?
I still need to paint my right rear quarter still in black primer. View attachment 169635
Yes, I did. White is an easy color to work with, but like all paint and body work, it all about the prep work. The painting is the easy part. Block sanded, filled, block sanded, filled again, block sanded, primed , finish sanded, after the primer dried for 24 hours, cleaned and painted. Now in about 1 week, I will do paint correction to remove the imperfections, then buff out. It has very little sag where the paint is to thick. I will block sand that out with some 600 grit, then buff. Cant wax for about 6 months. The paint has to cure first. I am happy with the results so far, and as good as it came out, I know the rest will cone out even better. I really like the JB Weld as a filler trick. Its more work sanding, but it really does a good job, and I know that is not going to fail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts