GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have a 96 K 2500 Suburban 7.4 vortex so I ran into issue I had a buddy tell me change the the distributor cap rotor and the coil and he didn't mark where it's supposed to go in so now when we put the new one in he didn't mark it so it's not trying to start any more and I was wondering if anybody could help me I have to two line or time the timing right with the distributor coil or rotor please someone point me to the right direction on how doing It

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my buddy re placed the whole thing (the cap an rotor an the coil) but he didnt mark the engine. So the timing off. Need to learn how to aline before the tow my car today

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Ok, I knew that from your first post.

Now my post asked the question, "did you" , or your buddy, "remove the distributor" when you/he did the work?

There are 2 ways to change the cap and rotor, one with the distributor in and one with it out.

Doing it with the distributor in is by far the easiest fix, a little more work if it was removed.

However, I need to know before any one can help you.

If you don't know, please ask the guy who did the work.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If the distributor was removed you will need to static time the engine.
The engine needs to placed on TDC, and the oil pump shaft needs to be aligned or pointed to the correct direction for disturbtor-oil shaft engagement (IIRC). On small blocks i believe it is pointing to no 5 intake (IIRC). Set the distributor rotor and slide it in, ensuring engagement. I garnentee that you will have to to this multiple times. It takes some finesse.
VERY important Note; When you go to to start the engine, make sure the air cleaner is installed and screwed down. if the timing is off, the engine will belch a flame out the carburetor and could (probably will) start a fire.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
76 Posts
Would a 1996 still be using a carburetor and is a 7.4 a small block? I just know that my 1994 was Throttle Body Injection and that it was at the larger end of the small block range. Then again I've never owned a 1996 7.4 so I dont know

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Hi Thundah, the small block and the big block overlap in the displacement ranges (near the top of the small block, bottom of the big block ranges).

The 7.4 (454 cu in) is a big block. The smallest big block was a 348 cu in, it came out in '58, I wanted one so bad. The most popular was the 409 (Beach Boys fame)

The largest small block was the 400 cu in, available in the '70s

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Would a 1996 still be using a carburetor and is a 7.4 a small block? I just know that my 1994 was Throttle Body Injection and that it was at the larger end of the small block range. Then again I've never owned a 1996 7.4 so I dont know
7.4l is a 454, and that is a big block. Being a Vortec, it is fuel injected, not carbed or TBI. Not sure on the 7.4L but the first 5.7L vortec engines were in the 96 trucks. GM never made a 7.4L 454 small block. The biggest small block GM made was a 400, and they also made a 400 big block. The 400 small block was the same block as a 350. The 400 big block was a board 396. All of this applies untill the LS engines. LS engines are a total different engine. Now the LS engines are no more, and GM is building the LT engines. They are close to what the LS engines were.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts