1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i measure what length i need?
i have a 2" leveling kit and a 3" fabtech spindle lift
i only need the front shocks
csn anyone tell me how i determine the length of the shock i need? theres just so many options. or just point me in the right direction...
and from what i hear bilstein is an awesome pick
thanks for your help as always

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
The 3" spindle doesn't affect shock length. You need a shock that is 2" longer than stock. Bilstein has a longer shock for a leveled truck. I assume this is for your 2000 Silverado.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
x2. Bilsteins are great shocks. if you look on their website they list the ones for lifted trucks. it will give you the lift range and tell you the shock you need. Also to check for length measure the distance from the top mount to the bottom mount. the lengths of the shocks are listed on the site (will give extended and collapsed). you would then want the distance to be in between the the collapsed and extended range. For example the 5100 series for your year with 6" front lift the shock is 11.3" collapsed and 17.58" extended. so if the measurement on your truck was 14-15" (closer to the 14)range this would work.

Reactions: ajarman

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would you agree that the 5100 series adjustable shock is the shock that would suit my truck???

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Simply put yes.
The 5100's are great shocks, they also have the 5125's that are universal and are sold based on length travel etc. My truck has the 5100's (made for lifted applications) up front and then I did the 5125's (universals ordered by length) in the back because I went with the longest one they had because of the rear lift height I had. for your truck they also had their regular shocks (the blue and yellow) in a comfort and HD model. those are made mainly for non lifted but you can always check the length. the comforts will give you that softer ride where as the hd's are going to be stiffer for more of the hauling etc. the 5100's seem to be a firmer (obviously adjust based on terrain) as well but I like the firm ride. so it depends on your likes. Either way I dont think I have heard any complaints on the bilsteins. most people rave about the difference in the handling. I definately recommend the bilsteins one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im fine with a firm ride so long as the shock does its job and from what i saw the 5100 adjustable series adjusts from 0-2.5" for a leveled truck and seeing that silveradotrailblazer says that doesnt affect shock length i think thats the shock ill go for
as long as someone can tell me thats the one or no its wrong i will be a happy camper :)
thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
you just gotta find the right part number, but the bilsteins are the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts