GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2wd 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500. I found a good deal on a set of 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's. I am getting a 2.5 inch leveling kit and since it's not a Z71 it doesn't have the extra clearance. I won't have much money left over so a 1.5 inch body lift would be too much right now. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome,
I'm not positive on the 2003's 2wd but you may also have a torsion bar on the front that you can turn to increase the height up to another inch or so. But you will probably want to do something with your stock shocks if you go anymore than 2.5.

In regards to your z71 statement, does anyone know if theres a ride height difference between the z71 and the 4x4 z85/82 trucks like mine?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome,
I'm not positive on the 2003's 2wd but you may also have a torsion bar on the front that you can turn to increase the height up to another inch or so. But you will probably want to do something with your stock shocks if you go anymore than 2.5.

In regards to your z71 statement, does anyone know if theres a ride height difference between the z71 and the 4x4 z85/82 trucks like mine?
I do not have a torsion bar. I am getting some shocks for it. If I get a 3 inch front leveling kit and I put a 1 inch block in the back would 33" tires fit?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
We had to lift 4X4 trucks 4" to get 33" tires to fit on your year truck. Most 4X4's sit 2"-3" higher than a 2wd. Check out CST suspension and Fabtech Motorsports 2wd lift kits and they show what size tires you can fit with 2wd lift kits. I'm sure you won't get 3" of lift from a leveling kit only.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

98HotRod98, 2004 was the change over year for 2wd to have springs or torson bars. Early '04's had the springs and the later had torson bars. Z-71's sit about 11/2"-2" higher than the Z85/82 trucks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was searching around and I found a guy that a got a 3" spindle lift with a 2" spacer and 33" tires fit with minimal rubbing issues.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
When you say spacer kit do you mean a bodylift?

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

CST Suspension has a 4" spindle lift for your truck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, a coil spacer. I found a 3" spindle lift for $250.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
You are going to need about 5-6inches of lift for those 33's, no matter how you look at it. CST and Fabtech also have 7" lifts for your truck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well they are 285/75/16 and with stock rims. I have been searching and some fit on a 2wd with just a coil spacer and some barely fit on z71 so I am unsure what to do.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Fabtechs 7" lift will fit a 35" tire on your 2wd truck. If you want to run a 33"-35" tire on your truck you are going to have to spend some money on a 7" lift.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking a 2" coil spacer and a 2" body lift would give me the clearance for 33" tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts