GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab White about a week ago and I am just itching to make it my own. It came pretty much plain white with nothing on it, except it has a standard trailer package but not a Z71. I have gotten a bug guard and vent shades for it. My father-in-law is going to be doing some pinstriping for me tomorrow on it. I have been looking around online for different accessories for it. One area I have been looking at is the exhaust. I wanted to ask before I do anything with it (because several people have given me different stories), if I put a flowmaster on it, does that void any kind of warranty on it? I would just like some suggestions and ideas on redoing some stuff to my new truck. Ill include an image that way you can see what it looks like now and maybe I can get some more ideas. I do appreciate any ideas, tips, tricks, etc on it. This is my first truck period so any information would be helpful really! Thank you!

100MEDIA36IMAG0123.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Paint it! Just kidding!

You need running boards, a bull bar, and fender flares. Then, a meaty rear bumper, and some lights.

Nice truck! Have fun with it!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. Wheels/tires and a leveling kit!:great:

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Welcome to the Club and congrats on your first truck!!! It's really a nice looking ride with a great color scheme!!! Do you want lift, lower, level? I started with a truck looking about the same as yours and my first mods were (not in any particular order...or at least I can't remember):
- tonneau cover
- brush guard
- leveling kit
- 285/70/17 tires
- touch screen deck
- cai and exhaust
- bed liner
- front window tint

I think that got me though the first year.

Sorry, I do not know the answer to your warranty question....I'm sure someone will chime in soon who does.

·
4,774 Posts
I just got my new 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab White about a week ago and I am just itching to make it my own. It came pretty much plain white with nothing on it, except it has a standard trailer package but not a Z71. I have gotten a bug guard and vent shades for it. My father-in-law is going to be doing some pinstriping for me tomorrow on it. I have been looking around online for different accessories for it. One area I have been looking at is the exhaust. I wanted to ask before I do anything with it (because several people have given me different stories), if I put a flowmaster on it, does that void any kind of warranty on it? I would just like some suggestions and ideas on redoing some stuff to my new truck. Ill include an image that way you can see what it looks like now and maybe I can get some more ideas. I do appreciate any ideas, tips, tricks, etc on it. This is my first truck period so any information would be helpful really! Thank you!

View attachment 29586
Regarding your Trucks Warranty,
Installing an Aftermarket Exhaust and/or Installing other Aftermarket Parts on a Vehicle that is Still Under Warranty is a Debate that has been going on for Many Many Years Now with that being Said, the Auto Makers....Chevy, Ford and Dodge Say for the Most Part......Installing Any Aftermarket Parts will Void the Warranty, if the Aftermarket Part is Found to be the Cause of the Problem .........

But The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Say No.....for those Installing Aftermarket Parts on their Vehicles Does and/or Will Not Void the Warranty,

Link to Magnuson-Moss Act,
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

·
Registered
394 Posts
As was previously stated, there's a lot you can do to your truck! First you should decide on the look you'd like to go with (jacked up or slammed low) before making too many decisions. That being said there ARE a few things you can do that won't affect then end look of your truck!
-CAI
-aftermarket exhaust (btw, shouldn't void your bumper-to-bumper warranty. Asked the dealer when I bought mine)
-bed liner
-tonneau cover (lots to choose from as far as brand, style, and construction material)
- lighting

Hope that helps, and be sure to post pictures as you get your add-ons completed!:sign0011:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
wow what a response, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, ive gotten them saved and will look into each one, a few questions tho, since i am a newbie here and to owning a truck, im not a very mechanical person either lol just fyi

is there a difference in a bull bar and a brush guard?

what is a CAI?

what are your opinions on exhaust? flowmaster vs magnaflow?

whats are your opinions on bed liners? whats the best?

i appreciate all the feedback definitely

IMAG0008.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
We all started out as newbies :money:

Bully Bar: It protects some of the front bumper, I think it is more for looks than purpose

Brush Guard: Gives the headlights, grills and front some protection against limbs, brush and sometime deer lol, also have options for winch and lights

CAI: Cold Air Intake, i.e K&N, AirRaid

Exhaust: I own a Flowmaster and I love it, but I have heard good reviews from magnaflow, so I guess its comes down to personal preference

Bed Liner: I would go with a spray in liner, such as rhino and line-x

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
You should have no Problems.. If you are friendly with your dealer Most times they won't say a thing. I must say though If you do a programer put it back to stock before you bring it to the dealership for any work.

It also depends on what you are looking for. Off road, Better driverbilty? Lowering, What are you looking for?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Cold Air Intake - new air intake system w/filter that pulls colder air in with higher velocity/more mass

Brush guard is the style that I have...the Bull Bar is more like a push bar.

I have a mangna flow and am very happy with it...I've heard good things about flowmaster as well (sorry, no help there)

My experience with bedliners is the one I rolled on myself. I would not recommend this as I do have some chips and have to repair occasionally, and it was also a huge pain in the ass to install. If I had to do over again I'd get it done professionally, as it looks better than what I could do and the durability is much greater.

I hope that helps!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well im not going to be lowering or lifting it, my wife can hardly get in and out of it as it is (5'2") so as far as height goes, ill just be getting running boards, right after i posted the pic in my last post, it dawned on me what CAI was lol, i have had a few people tell me i could do the bed liner myself but ya i agree, i would probably rather have a pro do it and ive heard a lot of good with about both rhino and line-x, i think im going for better driverbility, im not going to be climbing any rock or drag racing it, its basically just a commute truck, im not even going to be hawling anything but the usually things here and there, nothing construction or heavy duty, increasing gas mileage would be a plus because im going to be taking road trips in it as well, from here in virginia to as far as Texas which is about 1100 miles taking about 18.5 hours haha, i know its not the ideal vehicle to do such a thing in but if i can get better gas mileage then that would be ideal haha

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Ahhh, you say that about the mods now, but once you start you won't be able to stop. The nice things about trucks is that there are so many options and things you do, and you will have fun to "make it your own" as you mention above.....I know, it happened to me!

Well, since you are going to spend so much time on the inside and on road trips, maybe add to your list the "entertainment system"?????:glasses:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
For a better driving Truck.. CAI,Exhust,Brakes,Programer, and Better Sway bars..This all will set you back about $1500-$2000 BUT you will enjoy driving the truck a Whole ton better....

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can add fog lights or HIDs, I always want to see as much as I can at night. Tinting the windows is a good start and can help save the interior too.

-JJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Modding your truck is addicting...

IMHO taking stuff off for free can go just as far as spending money to put stuff on. Peel off some of the badges, replace those hideous yellow bowties with some billet, and for gods sake, don't be seen in public with an ugly dealer sticker on that beautiful truck. Personally, I would advise you to be weary of sticking too much stuff on. I think the trucks on the front of catalogs that are covered in stick-ons and bolt-ons are just tacky looking.

As for the performance, I think bigger louder and faster is better.

And the tonneau cover/bed liner makes the bed a lot more usable too.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
What I've read a few times is that the aftermarket MAF's are NOT worth the money.. Lots of problems...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats on the truck! in my opinion you should get some running boards(for your wife) and a leveling kit and tires and wheels. and tint the windows! oh and as mentioned above take of as many of those decals and badges that you can!! Good luck! Keep us updated!

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Congrats on the truck! in my opinion you should get some running boards(for your wife) and a leveling kit and tires and wheels. and tint the windows! oh and as mentioned above take of as many of those decals and badges that you can!! Good luck! Keep us updated!
oh and as far as mpg i would get you a magnaflow exhaust and a good CAI and programmer!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know a guy (a farmer) who bought a new truck and when he got home he took his key and put a scratch all the way down the driver side. Then he said, "Now it is a truck." You could do something like that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts