GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 2005 Silverado base model which includes basically nothing but a 4.3 L v6 and a truck. So I have slowly been trying to add things to make it my own. The only problem is the fact that I am a college student and now poor because of it. So recently I have decided that I would like to buy some wheels. They would be 17" to keep the price of wheel and tires down and the tires would be a 265 width rather than 245. Let me know what you think!

Also if you could please make any suggestions as to some modifications I could make that wouldn't set me too far back in the wallet size, they would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Good lookin' truck! Those wheels should look great. You might consider "color matching the mirrors, door handles & grill surround as low cost changes witch will make a visual difference. Considering "student status" you might try Craig's List for some take off wheels & tires for" new at the right price". Good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I love those rims but think they would look best if you planned on lifting your truck a little in the future. They look alittle offroadish to me. I love the idea of painting your plastic parts or maybe even chrome handles. Speed scene Makes some nice black and chrome grilles for about 160 or so. Don't be afraid to go up in size on your wheels either. If you look hard enough and try and find good deals, you can usually hook in. I payed like 1480 for my set of 20's with 32" At tires with shipping, mounting, balancing and free replacement.
If you like the black look ( which looks pretty good in my opionion) you could probally get it alittle cheaper. Also maybe some tinting on your front headlights to black them out slightly. There are some many things you can do to it. What exactly are you into?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just a suggestion but I found that owners of new trucks take off their new 17,18 or 20 rims and sell them reasonably. I found this set through Craigslist for a price that I would have paid for new tires alone. The 18's were sold with the z71 package only and have the 265 tires.
A friend of mine needed new tires for his 2003 Suburban and 2000 Silverado and bought 20's for the Suburban which made it like great and the 18's for his Silverado. My truck is a work truck and I installed a chrome grille and the wheels and tires and it transformed the truck. Right now on the Seattle Craigslist there is a set of 17's off of a 2007 Suburban going for $375.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would have to agree with what finalday said... I really like teh rims but they would really look good with a lift and some nice offroad tires... I still think they would look great on your truck stock tho. its all your preferance tho if you like em, go for it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I just really liked the look of these. However I will not be lifting my truck due to I am more of a street truck person rather than off-road. Plus it is a v6, making it tougher to get going with big tires. I was actually looking at a possible 1"/2" drop if I got a good price for wheels.

Sweet! Those are some awesome ideas, I might look into the factory chevrolet wheels. I was looking into them actually before, but I forgot about craigs list! Great deals. I am also looking for possible performance upgrades. The rumors of the gas prices rising to $4.00 a gallon does not leave me smiling. I was thinking of some possible upgrades for power as well as efficiency. Like a k&n fipk intake and such. What are some good things that could help with this that are not too expensive?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well a full intake would help you a bit with the gas mileage but they're about $225. You could get a drop in K&N for about 45 that would help a little ( at least it did for me ). I think they make a Hypertech Power programmer III that you can find as low as $250 which would be the biggest improvement for the best price.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, with the Hypertech programmer, does it matter that my truck happens to be a manual transmission?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm not sure about the transmission but just email them. Hypertech.com, I just checked there dyno sheets and it says the max energry will deliver 5hp and 10tq or regular gas along with an increase in mileage. Check with them on the manual tranny.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those are real nice rims. Those are what I plan on my 05 av but i plan on putting 33s.Ive looked at alot of rims and they seem to look the best on my truck. The cheapest place ive found them is at performance plus. $143 for 17" rims. good luck your truck will look nice with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts