Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm finally here. Always wanted a Burb and finally bought one a 1990 1500 2WD.

Within 2 days...I was heartbroken and nearly had to get rid of it. Why?
Body mounts...all GONE, leaking radiator, loose steering

However...friend fixed it all for parts only.

Now I have a new problem....brake warning light ges off when I go over 35 MPH! No fluid loss...seems to stop OK

Anyone seen this before??

Thanks,
Fred

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: new and question

Hey Fred, welcome to the site.

The brake light goes off when you go over 35 MPH or when you hit the brakes when you're travelling over 35 MPH?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: RE: new and question

Steve said:
Hey Fred, welcome to the site.

The brake light goes off when you go over 35 MPH or when you hit the brakes when you're travelling over 35 MPH?
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all and my truck better!

When I start it...the light is not on...the moment the speedometer hits 35-38 or so it comes on (does not come on under 35). I'm not hitting the brake when the light comes on...it just does when I hit that speed. It stays on until I put it in park and shut it off. Then it starts all over again!

Again, I have brake fluid and the parking brake is released.

Help!

Thanks

Fred :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed Brake light coming on problem

OK...I found and fixed the problem. It was ABS related as per this site.

The older Suburbans do not have a separate ABS and Brake warning light.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr89850.htm

"Another false code problem has been noted on some 1988 and '89 "C" and "K" series GM trucks. A code 10 may be set when the vehicle is traveling over 37 miles-per-hour and the ABS controller sees an open circuit or no voltage in the stop lamp switch circuit. Later models have a revised brake pedal switch that eliminates the problem. "

"To manually clear a stored fault code on GM and some Dodge trucks with RWAL, remove the ABS fuse or disconnect the battery for 5 seconds. Ford RABS codes will automatically clear when the ignition is turned to the off position."

So, to fix the problem, I simply pulled the fuse for the ABS (RWAL) for about 30 seconds. Replaced the fuse...road tested the vehicle...and sure enough no more Brake warning light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.