GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I'm new to the forum and have a doosie of a question. I've inherited a one owner 1996 1500 2wd LT Suburban. 193,000 miles and it runs like a dream. While driving it yesterday I heard a pop while braking and then a grinding on the passenger side front while driving. At first I thought I just broke a pad. I slowly (35mph) drove to my workshop and proceeded to take off the wheel. I found that the bearing had been fried and it got hot enough to weld the spindle bolt to the spindle shaft. So after removing the knuckle/spindle I found a cheap replacement for $40. I put the new spindle on and now the brake caliper won't bolt back in. I seems that there is two different sizes of caliper bolts for suburbans? Does anyone know the size of the bolt? If I knew the size of the bolt in the calipers I could just drill and tap the holes in the knuckle. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I searched all over the internet looking for the size of the bolt but no luck. I can't even find any place that sells different calipers for a 1996 suburban.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to say the bolts are allen headed and they don't come out of the calipers. What I'll end up doing I think is taking the calipers to the salvage yard and try different knuckles. Is the suburban knuckle/spindle different from a truck's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My suburban is a 1996 1500 2wd. The donor spindle is from a 1997 burban 1500 2wd. I verified this yesterday. I got another spindle from a 2500 that matches the bolt size exactly but the spindle diameter is larger. I went to the salvage yard yesterday to get the caliper bolts from the 97 and both calipers were gone. I went to my chevrolet dealer and they only have one size bolt for the 95-2000 1500's. So I'm just going to helocoil it. Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.