GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
I am new to this forum. and needing help on a 94 Silverado k1500, 5.7. I replaced the engine coolant temp. sensor on the side of the engine along with the pig tail and now when you plug up the sensor it goes directly to hot and you unplug it, it goes to cold????? It's like the sensor has no resistance. I don't get it! Can anyone help me with this problem?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the pigtail polarity specific? Is it wired backwards?
My engine runs a little rough at start now. All sensors on top of engine replaced along with new computer last year and a new muffler system will be put on today along with a mechanical temp. gauge! Don't know what else to do. Mechanic said if break in wire it would do nothing!

· Registered
41 Posts
When my brother's truck did this, we found he had a bad cluster gauge. For some reason, any resistance at all would peg his gauge. In a 1988, you can disassemble and replace individual gauges. Not sure about the '94 cluster. We had the advantage of having a few spare clusters laying around so we just swapped in another gauge, and all worked fine after that. I would be suspect of that new sensor you put in. Make sure they didn't accidentally sell you a fan switch sensor. I did have that happen once as well. That would either be on or off versus variable resistance for a gauge.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When my brother's truck did this, we found he had a bad cluster gauge. For some reason, any resistance at all would peg his gauge. In a 1988, you can disassemble and replace individual gauges. Not sure about the '94 cluster. We had the advantage of having a few spare clusters laying around so we just swapped in another gauge, and all worked fine after that. I would be suspect of that new sensor you put in. Make sure they didn't accidentally sell you a fan switch sensor. I did have that happen once as well. That would either be on or off versus variable resistance for a gauge.
I took the truck this morning to MTI here so he can test for a bad cluster. If it is the cluster it will be hard to find a good one I am told! Thanks for the reply. I didn't know you could change out parts in the dash. I will check on that.

· Registered
41 Posts
I took the truck this morning to MTI here so he can test for a bad cluster. If it is the cluster it will be hard to find a good one I am told! Thanks for the reply. I didn't know you could change out parts in the dash. I will check on that.
I know on the 88-91 trucks, you can remove the cluster from the dash, and it's just held together by screws. It all comes apart, and the gauges come out individually. It's how you replace the bulbs inside it as well. I put LEDs inside mine to brighten it up so it was easier to read at night. Check out this video!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know on the 88-91 trucks, you can remove the cluster from the dash, and it's just held together by screws. It all comes apart, and the gauges come out individually. It's how you replace the bulbs inside it as well. I put LEDs inside mine to brighten it up so it was easier to read at night. Check out this video!

WOW.... very cool video! Thank you so much for that. I had no idea that may be possible. I hope it is on my truck! We shall see today.

· Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning,
I am new to this forum. and needing help on a 94 Silverado k1500, 5.7. I replaced the engine coolant temp. sensor on the side of the engine along with the pig tail and now when you plug up the sensor it goes directly to hot and you unplug it, it goes to cold????? It's like the sensor has no resistance. I don't get it! Can anyone help me with this problem?
I have 95 K1500 350cu-Most likely incorrect temperature sensor. Your instructions could have said how to hook it up to work with one wire and ground but I couldn't get it to work correctly either. I purchased the correct temp sensor on Amazon [part #213-77] which is a one wire with a small side terminal next to it. Temperature ga works correctly now.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 95 K1500 350cu-Most likely incorrect temperature sensor. Your instructions could have said how to hook it up to work with one wire and ground but I couldn't get it to work correctly either. I purchased the correct temp sensor on Amazon [part #213-77] which is a one wire with a small side terminal next to it. Temperature ga works correctly now.
I will try that when I get my truck back from shop. Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts