GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm frustrated with my 2002 Chevy Avalanche, so I decided to investigate on-line! I am on my second set of front tires with only 47,000 miles. There is a knocking in the front end when you make even a slight turn (either direction). I have been to the dealer until the warrenty ran out. It was doing much better after there was a Thread about drilling holes in something to widen the turn ability. I'm not a real truck savy person, but I wouldn't trade my Avalanche! I just want it fixed. The tires are wearing in front only, from the outside to the inside.
Help!!
From VA

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I'm not sure of the facts but I have a friend that has a 2003 Suburban that had the same exact clunking in the front end and it turned out to be a recall or a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and was fixed for free at a GM dealer. Do your homework and see if you can find anything out because if true, warranty or not it will get fixed.

PS Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Google "Chevy and uneven tire wear" and the internet returns hundreds of posts. You are most likely experiencing excessive tire wear due to a toe/camber issue. The toe/camber may be dynamically changing with suspension travel or the static settings are incorrect. You would think a dealership could isolate and repair the problem.

Ask around you local area for the "suspension guru." In my area it's Bob's Tire Service in Victorville. I just had my burb aligned today. He showed me excessive wear on the inner tie rod ends and suggested that I have them replaced. I had inner/outer TRE's replaced two years ago, but because of the 3" lift the angle on the inners is pretty stressful. (He understood that as a GMTC member I felt inclined to do the work myself, so standby for a future post.)

·
Registered
717 Posts
:glasses:welcome to the site :great:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts