GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from Ohio . Just got home with my first Silverado . It's an 07 (classic style) ext cab 4x4 with the 4.8 vortec . Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as gas mileage and such with this new truck? Thanks .

Steve R.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I can give you a guesstimate, what ever it said on the EPA sticker for mileage, subtract 5 miles per gallon.

Welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the site!

The EPA stickers may have just changed for this year (or is it for the 2008's?) where they're trying to be more realistic. Plus, GM and other manufacturers are trying to make engines that give higher MPGs.

It all varies on issues like how you drive, run A/C in the summer, etc. Break her in for a month or so and keep tabs on what you spend for fuel, mileage, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay in response here and thanks for the welcome :biggrin:
I just got threw the first tank today and was at 248 miles ( lol, not too hot thus far) .
Are most of you real familar with this newer 4.8 vortec ? It really feels like a little beast to me . :cool:
Not that I am into racing my everyday driver and such but this young pup pulled beside me the other day after work in his Tundra . He started rimming his engine up so I thought, " hell, why not" . We went about 1/4 mile on the highway and I had him pretty easy by two car lengths .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the 5.3 and it feels pretty strong... but the automatic transmission is the truck's weakest link. If you're not at the perfect speed, it won't downshift and ther truck will just creep along. Other times, it will kick down and just take off. The magic speed seems to be around 35 mph. My Trans Am was the same way... although it didn't seem quite as reluctant to downshift as the truck is. When passing someone, I have to really lay into the pedal to get the truck to wake up and go! I've been reading that the transmissions in these trucks aren't the most durable and reliable... so I take it easy unless I need to get on it to merge or pass. It's a shame, because the LS engines are "Like a Rock" I never dreamed my LS1 would make it past 50,000 miles (especially after my brother got through with it!) but it went 167,000 and is still going strong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have an 07classic. But it is 2wd. I get about 16mpg city and 20-21mpg highway. It pulls great stock, but if you tune it or use a programmer, it will really wake it up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I averaged out the mpg today and I am somewhere around 11.894 mpg and this is not getting on it either . I am sure once it get's broken in the mileage should get better ? As for a programmer, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance :biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hard to believe that an engine can burn a whole gallon of gas in just a little over 10 miles. I know trucks burn gas, but it seems my engine hardly ever has to rev over 2k rpms and the engine stays pretty much between 1,000 and 1500 rpms while driving... so why exactly does it need so much fuel? The LS1 in my Trans Am would rev at 2k-2500 rpms on the highway and still get 26-27 mpg. I thought the reason trucks burned gas was because they were heavy with poor aerodynamics and engines had to work hard (high rpms) to haul them around... but it seems like the 5.3 in my truck just idles everywhere!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mileage

I am the proud owner of a 2 week old GMC Siera 2500HD Crew with a Duramax diesel engine. I have been getting just under 14mpg so far. I don't think that it's too bad??! I traded in a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 gas engine. I was only getting around 12mpg with the RAM.
I have not done any towing so far!

·
Registered
5 Posts
steve i have a 07 classic with the 5.3 vortech. i recently made a trip to texas from louisiana and i wanna say that i'm had gotten between 425 and 475 highway miles to a tank. that's just an estimate but i can give you a better number later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
steve i have a 07 classic with the 5.3 vortech. i recently made a trip to texas from louisiana and i wanna say that i'm had gotten between 425 and 475 highway miles to a tank and that was driving between 75 and 85. that's just an estimate but i can give you a better number later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new here as well. I just bought a 2500HD with a 6.0.:great: I love everything about the truck except the gas milage. I've only got 1030 miles on it but I pulled a cargo trailer (about 3000 lbs)to Texas and back last weekend and only got around 10 mpg. Hope it improves as it breaks in. It certainly ain't what was promised, but hey I figured as much.:sarcastic:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm new here as well. I just bought a 2500HD with a 6.0.:great: I love everything about the truck except the gas milage. I've only got 1030 miles on it but I pulled a cargo trailer (about 3000 lbs)to Texas and back last weekend and only got around 10 mpg. Hope it improves as it breaks in. It certainly ain't what was promised, but hey I figured as much.:sarcastic:
Hi Bandit welcome, Life is short/You only live once, so enjoy chewing thru fossil fuel :he:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site Bandit!

·
Registered
12 Posts
steve i have a 07 classic with the 5.3 vortech. i recently made a trip to texas from louisiana and i wanna say that i'm had gotten between 425 and 475 highway miles to a tank and that was driving between 75 and 85>>>

I just recently drove my 07 Classic w/ the 5.3 from Florida to Louisiana (New Orleans) and back and averaged approx. 400-450 miles per tank... which took about 20-21 gallons to refill. My average speed was about 75. I'm sure that is somewhere in the neighborhood of about 21-22 mpg. I would try the whole trip at 55 to see how much it would improve if I wasn't afraid of getting clobbered on I-10.. lol. My truck is a 2wd extended cab with the short bed. I do have to say that it did great on the highway, and we left in the late afternoon and drove all night long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts