GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 silverado 1500 and i just got the oil changed in it, a few days after the oil change the "Change Engine Oil" display came up. Im confused on why its displaying. I put in 4x4 semi-synthetic??? Help please!!

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
The engine oil life meters do not actually analyze the oil that's in the motor. The meter must be reset. The computer formulates when it should display that message based on a complex equation that takes into effect miles, temp of the engine oil in the past, how hard you've been driving it, and various other factors. It then calculates when it guesses the oil should be changed. So, if the last person who changed the oil (you perhaps?) did not reset the engine oil life meter, then it would be displaying that message when it thoguht the oil shoul be pretty much used up. I don't know how to reset your individual oil light, but I'm sure someone else here does.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Try this. Turn the ignition on, do not start the car. Pump the gas pedal three times within 5 seconds till the change oil light starts to flash. You might have to do it a couple of times to reset the light.
Good Luck.

It worked for a friends, you may have to do it more than once.

Keep it between the ditches.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
GM offers some insight at www.goodwrench.com (caution PDF link) 84Fiero is correct on the reset method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts