GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rolling stock, but I'm curious how many members on here have put an aftermarket head unit in their truck or suv? If you have, describe what you installed and snap a pic if you would.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm running my stock head unit also, but I've changed almost everything else!!! :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a panasonic head unit in my sierra. nothing special my uncle was getting rid of his old Z71 and said I could take it.

By the way steve, I was in Cape Cod this passed week and a trailblazer passed me with dual exhaust. Have you ever heard of or seen this before? I know it was a first time for me. Sorry to get off topic.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
in my suburban I'm running a cheap audiovox rampage head unit with a 10 disc changer. It's a POS, but the radio came in my very first car (ford contour). The changer came from my best friend, and it just happened to be an audiovox too so it interfaces with the radio. I'm planning on replacing my existing radio with a pioneer video head after I install a sub and build a custom center console.

·
Registered
233 Posts
JVC Head unit Bluetooth, ipod interface (ipod hooked up in glove box) Rockford Fosgate 300w RMS Amp(birth sheet says 467w RMS), 1-10" Pioneer Shallow mount Sub (300Wrms) in a Bassworx shallow mount box. All the speakers are also replaced with fosgate speakers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stock......95 Suburban...single cd......86 Suburban JVC aftermarket single cd

95 Blazer (wifes) Sirius with stock cd player.

Did That Done That with the speakers, amps, thing.....now just radio/cd music to and from work.

That's my thoughts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
JVC Head unit Bluetooth, ipod interface (ipod hooked up in glove box) Rockford Fosgate 300w RMS Amp(birth sheet says 467w RMS), 1-10" Pioneer Shallow mount Sub (300Wrms) in a Bassworx shallow mount box. All the speakers are also replaced with fosgate speakers
What did you mount this in? Your avatar looks like a newer Silverado but what year and cab style?

Nice system BTW, I want one:great:

·
Registered
233 Posts
i have to upload my truck on there lol

Its an 07 Silverado classic reg cab 8' long box. only because i had to settle for reg cab for the 8' long bed for work, i coulda got extended short bed for the same price base model, but then i wouldnt have had the features/8' bed. and the deal i got was somethign you just dont let slip away.

I see you have a crew cab, my fav set up for a crew cab is the entire box under the seat. Ive done some work myself on a crew cab, I used 3/4 mdf, cut out the tranny hump, lined it with the same leather on the bottom of the seat, and just like someone else on here she got someone to etch in GMC on some 1/2 " plexy cut out a hole and mounted it there. Hooked up a couple leds in there with a controller so she can choose steady light or with the beat sorta thing, Then she bought 2 12's and we put those facing up. and for her 2 amps, and component controllers, i made an exact inset on the top of the box where they were being lined up so there is abolutely no visible wiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i got everthing non stock in my truck i got sony xplod radio and to roadmaster 6.5s in frfont doors probly goin with memphis 4x6 in the back

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just have the factory Bose system and it suits me fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i'm running stock with bluetooth install, ipod hookup,siruis radio replaced XM reciever install, what i'm looking for is an adaptor to allow me to use an usb drive for mp3's so i can pull out the ipod ..

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a Pioneer DEH-P4900iB head unit with bluetooth, iPod control, Serious satellite radio, and a remote control. It was an easy install. I had to get a harness from Scosche Part #GM2000 to keep my chimes and retained accessory power. Also, there is no switched +12V power unless you get the scosche harness or one of the more expensive ones. I am still using stock speakers right now, but plan to upgrade later. I also have a 760 watt Pioneer amp pushing one Sony Xplod 10" subwoofer in a sealed box. here's a pic of the stereo:

and here is the subwoofer:

Last one, here's the amp:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am planning on upgrading the head unit in my Suburban. Don't know if I'll put in my pre-out only Kenwood or save it and get another. I have mostly used Alpine but there is a pioneer on sale at work.

Tim

·
Registered
380 Posts
If I were you, I would only spend the money on upgrading your deck IF you; don't have a cd player, want iPod connection, have sub woofers, or for blue tooth. I have a Sony deck, and it is great. If you still want to upgrade, I recommend a Kenwood, or Alpine. Sony is good, but those other two are fancier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jvc

I replaced my stock unit with a JVC so I could connect my IPOD and XM. I had to by a special wiring harness from Walmart that included a chime box because GM runs all the warning chimes for your seat belts and lights through the stock stereo. I found the same harness at Crutchfields but it was $80. I only paid $35 at walmart. I just clicked the harnes to the factory inputs and then connected all the wires to my new JVC unit. I also had to buy a DIN dash kit because the hole left by my old stereo is twice the size of anything else. Overall it was an easy install and I can now control my IPOD through my JVC with the remote. Best thing I have done to it so far. My Truck is an 04 1500 Z71.

·
Registered
9 Posts
XM -> Sirius replacement

i'm running stock with bluetooth install, ipod hookup,siruis radio replaced XM reciever install, what i'm looking for is an adaptor to allow me to use an usb drive for mp3's so i can pull out the ipod ..
Hola ~

How did this retrofit go for you? Were you able to interface the Sirius receiver and antenna to the factory XM ready head-unit?

I just purchased a used 2006 K2500 HD with factory XM ready Radio. I have not gotten so energetic as to disassemble the dashboard yet, but I am hoping I can use my previous Sirius satellite receiver with this stock radio.

Do you know if it is possible to utilize the roof-mounted XM antenna with this arrangement? I think that location is a little more solid and would have better reception than mounting the Sirius antenna on or behind the dashboard.

Gracias ~

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I added a Kenwood KDC-1028. Dont mind the panel under the steering column being missing, I put it in after I took the picture. This was also my first headunit install.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I got a kenwood headunit (KDC MD-3035) with an i pod hook up its fantastic.. found it on ebay for 115 bucks its usually around 160 i think

1 - 20 of 54 Posts