GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew much about swapping or upgrading the heads on a 4.3 v6 silverado. Whats the price and gains of doing it and I would like to know if it is worth it.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well really I dont have much knowledge on this topic. But i have a couple friends who run a body shop and they told me they've done a few 4.3 head swaps and the customers liked what they got. In general I heard that it was a good idea, but that depends on the price and performance gain I could get. I really dont know what is out there to swap to or upgrade, thats why im here. I could google it easily and teach myself more no doubt, but Id rather hear from some knowledgeable people first.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

its a 2000 single cab

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So yall think it would be more worth it to go towards a camshaft than towards the heads?

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i know this engine lacks in the performance department :/ I already have TB spacer, hypertech programmer, K&N intake, flowmaster exhaust, and 4.10 gears in the rear with a limited slip. And it still takes me about 10 seconds to hit 60 mph from a stop. I know alotta people say that we waste money on our V6's and i may agree to an extent, but thats why I aint gonna throw a SC or TC on it, I'm not that crazy OR rich haha. But If you think cams or heads would be a nice addition to my setup, by all means show me the light.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont have much to compare it to, I think it has a little bit of bite to it. But when i got it from my older brother he already had the intake, exhaust and TB spacer on it. I did the rest but also put some 33" tires on it with a leveling kit and 3" spindle lift. So i can see some loss of power there, but really anything over 80 takes a while to get to.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i hadnt even looked into the heads yet actually, it was a recommendation from a friend and I sought more help on it here

So does anyone love any certain brand of cams that would be worth it?

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
blacksheep aside from what ive done you can also swap the fan for an electric fan and throw on some underdrive pulleys and i dont think they run too much $$$. I just havent really felt like doing those
Heres a list of what i think are the easiest/most common to do without goin crazy:
1)exhaust
2)intake
3)TB spacer
4)Programmer
5)Electric fan
6)Pulleys
7)Headers (probably the most pricey of these)
All these are pretty common upgrades you could do.
The reality is that whatever you spend for each of these will only gain you a MAX of 5-10 HP each. So in relation to $/HP its pretty expensive

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
believe it or not every mod i listed there will also improve your mpg! although with all i have i still sit at a max of 16 mpg on the highway and that was my all time high :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.