GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to this site, in the hopes of helping me with a truck buying question

I currently own a 05 silverado with the duramax and am looking to upgrade to a newer truck. Having trans issues when towing.

My towing needs have changed, as that i now tow a 7000 pound trailer city driving daily and about twice a month tow a 9000 pound trailer local.

I see a lot of issues on the new diesel trucks, plus the high initial cost and am looking for some advice, if i should still pursue getting a 2015 or newer deisel, o just go with a new gasser?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks all

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A gas truck will never tow as well as a diesel will. Also your fuel millage will drop a lot when towing on a gas engine. If all you pulling is 4000 or less and just every now and then, then its no big deal, but if your towing a lot and have a diesel engine now, you will disapointed with a gas engine truck. How many miles on the 05? Is it just a POS and worn out? It would cost a lot less to have the trans remaned than what a new truck cost, and a good trans shop can do a porformamce reman for just a few bucks more. Keep this in mind though, there is a difference in a rebuild, and a reman trans. Rebuilt at some shops means they just replace what is worn out, and reman means they replace all parts that can ware out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. A gas truck will never tow as well as a diesel will. Also your fuel millage will drop a lot when towing on a gas engine. If all you pulling is 4000 or less and just every now and then, then its no big deal, but if your towing a lot and have a diesel engine now, you will disapointed with a gas engine truck. How many miles on the 05? Is it just a POS and worn out? It would cost a lot less to have the trans remaned than what a new truck cost, and a good trans shop can do a porformamce reman for just a few bucks more. Keep this in mind though, there is a difference in a rebuild, and a reman trans. Rebuilt at some shops means they just replace what is worn out, and reman means they replace all parts that can ware out.
The truck needs a trans and 2 computer control modules and i was told its not worth it anymore. Had so many problems with it. I know about the power difference but I'm reading on so many issues with newer diesels, including the cp4 grenade issue on 2011-2016 diesels

1 - 3 of 3 Posts