GM Truck Club Forum banner

New HU or Keep Stock?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Pete95Sierra 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm having an internal debate. I originally planned on getting a new head unit for my truck (eventually), then upgrading the speakers. That was my first upgrade in my last truck ('97 Ford Ranger). It was easy and made a world of difference. Now that I've discovered I have to get a harness to keep door chimes and an interface to keep my steering wheel controls, I'm wondering if it would be the most cost efficient way to upgrade my sound. Would I get similar results if I kept the stock radio and bought an amp to boost the power to the system (and got new speakers of course)? I know I wouldn't have the equalizer options an aftermarket HU would have, but at least I'd have the extra power.

I don't know much at all about amps and stuff, so if an amp would be a good way to go, would I need a 4 channel amp to boost the 4 speakers? I guess I need a car audio 101 class or something :lol:

Also, from what I can tell, it looks like I have a couple of mid-range type speakers paired with the speakers in my front doors. I haven't taken the door panel off to take a good look. Is that something I would have to take into account when getting an amp? Also, is that something that should be upgraded as well? Ok, I'll stop asking questions and leave it at that! Thanks!!

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys!! I will probably go with a new HU. Thanks for the heads up on getting the chime harness at Wal-Mart, Dirtdog! The one on Crutchfield is like 80 bucks!! Does anyone know where to get a cheaper steering wheel interface? The one Crutchfield offers is $70.

The head unit I've been eyeballing is the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X492. I've only owned Pioneer before, so I don't know much about Kenwood. I've heard good things, and they seem to offer more power for your dollar. Anyone had any good or bad experiences with Kenwood?

I haven't done much research on replacement speakers yet. I probably won't be putting in any subs, but I do have an 8" Rockford Fosgate Stage 1 that I had in my old Ranger...in case I change my mind :happy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.