GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 02 sierra 5.3 seems to be a bit sluggish upon acceleration, i have a K&N CAI and was wondering if the OEM MAF isnt reading the increased airflow, and if so should i get an aftermarket MAF designed for the increased flow, or if getting a programmer would be the better route. any and all advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
What I hear those aftermarket MAF's don't do a thing.. Clean your MAF then unplug the ground cable for 20 mins..

·
Super Moderator
4,783 Posts
my 02 sierra 5.3 seems to be a bit sluggish upon acceleration, i have a K&N CAI and was wondering if the OEM MAF isnt reading the increased airflow, and if so should i get an aftermarket MAF designed for the increased flow, or if getting a programmer would be the better route. any and all advice is much appreciated
I would Scan the Trucks Computer first just to make Sure No Trouble Codes stored.....if No Codes are stored, then your good to go on doing some of the items below and how long have you had the K&N CAI installed??.

I would look at doing some of the Following,
.....A Cleaning of the MAF Sensor
.....A Cleaning of the Throttle Body & Injector's
.....Check the Fuel Pressure
....Replace if needed the Fuel Filter
....A New set of Plugs/Wires if needed

When Cleaning the MAF Sensor use Only CRC MAF Cleaner(Pictured below), and see how the truck does on Acceleration
after the cleaning and then save your Money BY Not buying a Aftermarket MAF and look at doing a Tune either Handheld or Custom, they will give you a Much Better Bang for your Money.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
X3 clean the MAF. I'd clean the throttlebody as well. I like to take the t/body off so I can give it the good cleaning on both sides with the t/body cleaner and a SOFT toothbrush. CRC and Seafoam have good t/body cleaners.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Also the aftermarket MAF's are junk. Your truck will run worse with it. The stock MAF will support over 500hp. Also DO NOT remove the screen on the MAF inlet. It is there to straighten out the airflow into the throttlebody.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input!
99heartbeat- ive had the k&n for about 2 years now
ive changed the spark plugs and wires about 10 months ago, and i will clean the TB and the fuel filter hasnt been changed in at least 4 years or so
again thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Don't forget to clean the MAF. Also if you still want a aftermarket MAF I have one you can have, you just have to get it from the bottom of my pond. :lol:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Did I hear Fishing for MAF's???? LOL....

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Down here we call it Noodle'n for MAF's. :lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
i agree the aftermarket MAF wont do much if anything, now a aftermarket Throttle body will but you also should have the supporting mods. I would start buy checking the connectors and cleaning the stock one as mentioned before X2 and also a tune wouldn't hurt...

·
Super Moderator
4,783 Posts
thanks for the input!
99heartbeat- ive had the k&n for about 2 years now
ive changed the spark plugs and wires about 10 months ago, and i will clean the TB and the fuel filter hasnt been changed in at least 4 years or so
again thanks for the info guys!

What brand of plugs did you installed 10 months ago??....and I would also install a New fuel filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks again for the input, i cleaned the MAF yesterday and have noticed a little more spunk, but i might check out a few more things that probably havent been replaced/cleaned in a long time i.e. fuel filter, check fuel pressure and injectors...it did just hit the 128k mark, so a few things are probably due for a check up

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

What brand of plugs did you installed 10 months ago??....and I would also install a New fuel filter.
i put in Bosch Platinum +4s in

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Take out those Bosch plugs and replace with factory A/C Delco's. For some reason GM's seem to like the Delco's. Theres many people on this site that will agree with me.

·
Super Moderator
4,783 Posts
thanks again for the input, i cleaned the MAF yesterday and have noticed a little more spunk, but i might check out a few more things that probably havent been replaced/cleaned in a long time i.e. fuel filter, check fuel pressure and injectors...it did just hit the 128k mark, so a few things are probably due for a check up

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

i put in Bosch Platinum +4s in
X2.....take the Bosch Plugs out.......The Vortec Engines Run and Perform Better when A/C Delco Plugs are being used.....The ones you want are the A/C Iridium Tip Spark Plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive heard that the A/C's work better with the gm's, but unfortunately i had just put the boschs in before i heard that and havent got around to changing them...but im doing a tranny flush this weekend so i might as well put A/C's in again while im at it

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Glad it was just the plugs.:glasses:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts