GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a new member with a 1996 k1500 suburban ls!!im glad i found this site because i definetly need some answers on a problem with my sub. First off my when i was driving my sub two weeks ago, i was on the expressway when i just started acting up i would step on the throttle and it would lose power and sound like was not getting fuel as i pulled off the eway, it stumble till i was able to get to a safe spot. now i turn it off and try to start it back up of course it wouldnt start it would crank over but would not fire.

I got it towed back to my house a few days later and started to look over what it could be. i check the ign module,coil(witch i did replaced because coil and coil wire were burnt), then i check the relay which is good, but here when the fun part comes, when i go to check to see if the pump is working, first i jumped at the relay pump not working, then i probe the wires gets power from the ecm, but when i check to if the pump prime was getting power, the light just stayed on. so im thinking it maybe a short in the wire. then the next day when i go to try to start i used a jump starts sprayed some start fluid down the tb and low behold it started!!

now let it run for about 10min or so then i shut it off. i turn the key to the on position, now i hear the pump prime and getting fuel. now it only does this if i jump the battery and add starting fluid.

now here are my questions

could it still be my fuel pump?
if not could it be my battery?
would the fuel filter have any to do with this condition?

now one other thing to note, i notice that when it doent start, its raining like yesterday and the day it first stalled out, when its dry in can start it up like today.

also i do have a exhaust leak after the cat. so it does throw some codes. but one in particular is the code for system too lean bank 2 and code 420. this happened before the sub stalled out. could it have some do with this? any help would be great appriciated!!

·
1,457 Posts
First welcome to the site :sign0016:
Did you replace the rotor and distributor cap?
Sounds like you have a moisture problem.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First Welcome Aboard

It could be the ignition module, our 94 did exactly the same thing. Replaced the module and she hasn’t skipped a beat.

There is a test procedure for it but I can’t remember it, most parts stores will test it for you free.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome! :sign0016: Ignition modules have a tendancy to act up when they get hot... you said after it sits it runs fine... does it stay running after you get it hot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:party::party: it worked!! i changed the ignition module and now it works!!:party: thanks everybody for your help!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome To The Site!:sign0016:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:frown: well the partys over!!! my fuel pump took a crap!! but i changed it out today! the only hard part was the fuel tank strap bolt stripped out and i had to sawed the head of the bolt(which took two days with a hacksaw)top to get the strap off. everything else after that was a piece of cake!!! i just got to put the tank back up tommorow(it hard to the tank when you live on a 3 lane highway and trying not to get myself killed!) but one question, did i have to cut the fuel pump harness or is there a connector on the frame? thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also, keep in mind that if you are throuwing post-cat codes, it means that your engine will run rich, fouling plugs, clogging the CAT, and also lowering gas mileage and performance. Best to spend the bucks to get that leak fixed as soon as you can!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts