GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just joined. I'm the proud owner of the rusted remains of 78 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC Suburban. It has a warm 355, tubo 350, and set up to cruise on the interstate. I also have an 84 1/2 ton 4x4. It has a 350 with a 700R4 with heavy shafts and clutches, and a 4" suspension lift And I have a 98 LS series 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. The 78 & 98 have barn doors, and the 84 has the gate. I have also owned a 79 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban, and I inherited what was left of my Grandfather's 75 3/4 ton with a warm 454. (I wish I had kept the 75)

Any other members from Indy or around Indy..????

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the more the merrier I always say.

I’m jealous we only have 2 Burbs.

The 94 4X4 with barn doors I just got the wife a couple of years ago, and an 86 with the tailgate she refuses to let go, Says I will go before it does.

I believe her, she love the beast.

You obviously know a good truck when you have one. What do you do that requires the 757 of vehicles?

We own a farm here in Maine, have for 11 years. Before that we had a farm in Tennessee. The Burbs are perfect for farm work, hauling feed, lumber, trailering horses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome. Glad to be here.

I just like Suburbans. The 78 gets 8mpg, 84 gets 9-10mpg, and the 98 gets 14mpg cruising 80 with the a/c on My Grandfather had two in his life time. I liked his so.. I just keep collecting...uh...I mean buying Subs. My 78 was an old Ohio highway vehicle. It looked ready for the junkyard when I bought it. It has been in five accidents.(1 my fault...danged pole jumped in front of me). A 96 Cavalier got totaled when the girl rear-ended(went under) me from 15 mph. It just knocked some rust loose from the rockers. Fun truck. Heavy duty suspension. Three leaves in the front, eight in the back.(I carried 2, 55 gallon drums full of gas, moved the rear down about two inches) Full time four wheel drive. Or front wheel assist. What ever it is, the fronts pull all the time too.I used it as an every day driver, and to pull my toys. Now I have the 98 to do that. The 98 is much more comfy. And quieter... The 84, I traded for some LS1 parts. Southern truck, very little rust. It has cloth seats and all the bells and whistles with a vinyl floor cover. Everything works...well it did, until tonight. I was trying to install a stereo and bumped a bare wire into the dash. Now I don't have the roof lights inside.

I was a stay-at-home-Dad. But, that is getting old, so I'm going back to doing Sprinkler Fitting. I install fire sprinklers. Mostly out of town work. So I have plenty of room to carry luggage. And any kind of deal I come across when i'm out on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Ya you got to watch out for those walking poles.

Used to work construction here, 86 Burb was perfect for it. My big Job Box fit right in the back, and still had room for a crew of six in comfort. Plus their tools and luggage. That one had the rubber mats too.

I really miss them, might look into getting a set for the 94. Rugs really suck when you put 10 bails of hay in the back.

Our plow truck, 79 GMC pickup has that constant four wheel drive to, I don’t see how anyone could afford to drive it now days. It can’t get 10 miles to the gallon, but then that’s just a guess. I have never driven it on the road in 8 years, just a yard plow now.

But it will go threw Hell in a hail storm.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the site! :) Sorry, never even been to Indy, I have flown over it though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: RE: New Member From Indy

Steve said:
Welcome to the site! :) Sorry, never even been to Indy, I have flown over it though.
Thanks. You'l have to come visit Indy some time. We have a few races here a year...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: RE: New Member From Indy

84fiero123 said:
Ya you got to watch out for those walking poles.

Used to work construction here, 86 Burb was perfect for it. My big Job Box fit right in the back, and still had room for a crew of six in comfort. Plus their tools and luggage. That one had the rubber mats too.

I really miss them, might look into getting a set for the 94. Rugs really suck when you put 10 bails of hay in the back.

Our plow truck, 79 GMC pickup has that constant four wheel drive to, I don’t see how anyone could afford to drive it now days. It can’t get 10 miles to the gallon, but then that’s just a guess. I have never driven it on the road in 8 years, just a yard plow now.

But it will go threw Hell in a hail storm.
Yip. my 78 has really been through Hell and back. I have resurrected that poor thing three times. The tranny was rebuilt two years ago, so it has to pay me back. The only tangle that was close to a tie, was between the Suburban and a 73-75, Olds 98.
The 84 has vinyl on the front two floors, and carpet on the seat backs and in the back. Tranny fluid is a real pain to get out of the carpet and pad. I would take hay over that any day...!!!!!
Is the motor for the tailgate window known for being slooooooow?? Or not wanting work at all???

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: Re: RE: New Member From Indy

Mine was never what I would say fast, but then you have one huge hunk of glass there to move.

Comparing it to a car window it is slow, if it seems to be binding that could be a problem you can fix. It does require getting inside the gat though. And cleaning out the tracks, lubing the rollers.

Try simple green on the trany fluid in the carpet, works fairly good.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Re: RE: Re: RE: New Member From Indy

84fiero123 said:
Try simple green on the trany fluid in the carpet, works fairly good.
Simplw green, huh? I might give it a try myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Member From Indy

I can't get the window to move either way now. I may have blown the fuse. Speaking of which. Are my interior roof lights supposed to be connected to the horn fuse.?? I replaced the horn fuse and the roof lights came on.

I used Dawn Oxi on the carpet and pad. I scrubbed the carpet with a scrub brush. The pad, I hung on our fence, and slowly dumped Dawn/hot water over the top edge of the pad. This let the Dawn run down through the pad. I let it soak for a little while, and rinsed it with a garden hose.I think the previous owner dumped a tranny full of fluid in the back. Simple Green probably would have worked better... I just used what I had at the time. I'll have to remember Simple Green.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Member From Indy

He may have transported a trany in the back. I have done that and if it tips it will loose a lot of fluid, or the dipstick falls out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Member From Indy

Steve said:
Is that in the Oxi Clean family of products?
No. It's in the Dawn Dishwashing Soap family. It's what Wifey had, so I used it.. Dawn is supposed to move grease(oil) out of your way.

He probablly had a tranny tip. The whole back carpet was reddish/dirt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts