GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought this might interest some of you. Tells about the government's new vehicle estimated MPG ratings system( every rating will lower and be a little more accurate ). The site discusses the changes and has a calculator to adjust old to new.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml

Just as an example I checked on the NBS 2007 Silverado and the various engine 2WD/4WD configurations...

4.3L V6( 4X2 ): Current EPA rating is 17 City & 21 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 15 City & 19 Highway.

4.3L V6( 4X4 ): Current EPA rating is 16 City & 19 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 14 City & 18 Highway.

4.8L( 4X2 ): Current EPA rating is 16 City & 20 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 14 City & 19 Highway.

4.8L( 4X4 ): Current EPA rating is 15 City & 19 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 14 City & 18 Highway.

5.3L AFM( 4X2 ): Current EPA rating is 16 City & 22 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 15 City & 20 Highway.

5.3L AFM( 4X4 ): Current EPA rating is 16 City & 20 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 14 City & 19 Highway.

6.0L AFM( 4X2 ): Current EPA rating is 15 City & 19 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 13 City & 18 Highway.

6.0L AFM( 4X4 ): Current EPA rating is 15 City & 19 Highway. The new rating would drop it to 13 City & 17 Highway.

This is going to be quite a problem IMO for new vehicle mfg's. Especially since the upcoming run of years when they are being forced to increase MPG on their fleets by the government. Now the government jumps in and knocks 1-2+ MPG off the ratings before they even start. They just lost a couple MPG's per vehicle without losing actual MPG.

I actually am glad to see this however. It is about time the stickers genuinely reflect what you might expect to see from the vehicle. For too long it has not even been close. Now with the MPG ratings being dropped to more accurately reflect what the vehicles really get the new mandated MPG increase will have to be a real and good sized one to comply with the new law. I am sure the new car mfg's will cry but I applaud this move.

Just wanted to share in case some of you hadn't seen this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Out of the big three though I always thought that GM was the closet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well this is a rather old post. :)

But the new MPG estimates have been more accurate for you're "average" driver. There are still plenty who manage to get way more or less than the EPA numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
bump and discuss this topic.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Well this is a rather old post. :)

But the new MPG estimates have been more accurate for you're "average" driver. There are still plenty who manage to get way more or less than the EPA numbers.
This is due to them taking into consideration things like stop-and-go driving and more. There is a huge difference between commuting 30 miles on a flat and wide-open highway and stop and go traffic in Atlanta.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts