GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Suburban off to it's new home I'm starting work on the replacements. I bought three trucks at an Estate sale Wednesday:

A 2002, 3500, Crew Cab, Dually, TurboDiesel, RWD, Sunroof, full power options, vynal (sp?) seats and plastic floor mats, with 52k miles.
This'll be my tow rig, I plan to install a Goose Neck hitch and a tool box/fuel tank combo. But first it'll need new front sheet metal.

A 1997 Suburban, SLT, 2500, with leather, full power, and 4wd. With 14k on the odometer this was a 7.4ltr motivated truck. The previous owners relatives thought it had been sold 10 yrs ago when the transmission went out. They were surprised when I found it buried under hay bales in the barn. Unfortunately they had no idea where the engine/transmission may have gotten off to since they werent in the truck.
This one will get a mild small block engine and be the wife's intown driver.

The third truck was the real find of the group, a 1973 Chevy Western Hauler Car carrier. Its a pickup Crew Cab built on a 3.5 ton frame and chassis, motivation is a 427ci, 4 speed manual, and tandem 2 speed rear ends. These were special order conversion trucks back in the day designed to carry two cars at a time, they cost around $18k when new (1973 dollars) and under a 200 of them were built. This one has 12k miles and hasnt been registered since 1978. It's full power, custom natural leather seats, dual sunroofs, and optional 6ft cow horns attached to the hood.
I drove it 450 miles with two trucks on the back and a third on a trailer behind and didnt have any problems. I was gonna use it as a hauler until a friend of mine with a Muscle Car restoration shop saw it and offered me a great deal.

I think I've got all my spare time for this summer booked.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The third truck was the real find of the group, a 1973 Chevy Western Hauler Car carrier. Its a pickup Crew Cab built on a 3.5 ton frame and chassis, motivation is a 427ci, 4 speed manual, and tandem 2 speed rear ends. These were special order conversion trucks back in the day designed to carry two cars at a time, they cost around $18k when new (1973 dollars) and under a 200 of them were built. This one has 12k miles and hasnt been registered since 1978. It's full power, custom natural leather seats, dual sunroofs, and optional 6ft cow horns attached to the hood.
I drove it 450 miles with two trucks on the back and a third on a trailer behind and didnt have any problems. I was gonna use it as a hauler until a friend of mine with a Muscle Car restoration shop saw it and offered me a great deal.

I think I've got all my spare time for this summer booked.
This 3rd truck is a nice find! You guys down there are so lucky that way to find little gems...A truck that hasn't been on the road up here since 78 would be full off holes and grass growing up thru it. If all else fails you've got a 427 running gear to work with for another project...Nice!

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One nice thing about Texas is the old farmers seem to have more cars in their barns and pastures than cattle.
I'm going back Monday with a friend to pick up 4 more cars at the same place.
Were picking up three 67 Chevelle SS's, two are mint condition, the worst of the three is a 427 4 speed car, all of them drive and have recent inspection stickers. Were also picking up a 64 Impala SS 396 2 speed powerglide car thats mint except for no wheels/tires.
We've been invited to the neighbors ranch to see if were interested in "salvaging" any of the approximately 90 cars he's parked on his back pasture since 1962.
I hope their all junk cause I dont need another project right now and I know I wont be able to refuse a decent condition project car.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Were also picking up a 64 Impala SS 396 2 speed powerglide car thats mint except for no wheels/tires.
Do you here that thats the sound of me freakin' out. I love the 64 ss OMG my heart just stop. This is my ultimate car for me. Nice find you lucky dawg.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were also picking up a 64 Impala SS 396 2 speed powerglide car thats mint except for no wheels/tires.
Do you here that thats the sound of me freakin' out. I love the 64 ss OMG my heart just stop. This is my ultimate car for me. Nice find you lucky dawg.
I'm only trailering it to DFW for my buddy. After we get wheels on it may have to be driven a little to check out the running gear tho.
My wife's talked to my buddy about trading her 66 Chevelle SS (clone car) for the Impala, we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is a tough situation. i'll tell you how you solve it.

1. buy cars
2. sell cars
3. profit
4. ???
Right now that's easier said than done. I have 13 cars for sale that I couldnt pass up because they were good deals. Auto sales are slow right now, I dont have room left to store anything. I'm already renting a 2 acre fenced lot down the street from my house for storage.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm only trailering it to DFW for my buddy. After we get wheels on it may have to be driven a little to check out the running gear tho.
My wife's talked to my buddy about trading her 66 Chevelle SS (clone car) for the Impala, we'll see what happens.
Ship the SS up here I'll take it...LOL

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A dealer offered $1700 on trade in last week. I've got more than that in tires and rims on this Chevell. Every lot I've been to has been agressive about taking it on trade but they dont wanna give anything for it, I've never traded in a car and I'm not about to start now. I'll park it in the yard to rot before I give it away.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
A dealer offered $1700 on trade in last week. I've got more than that in tires and rims on this Chevell. Every lot I've been to has been agressive about taking it on trade but they dont wanna give anything for it, I've never traded in a car and I'm not about to start now. I'll park it in the yard to rot before I give it away.
2 words for ya "Road trip", bring your fishing pole and hip weighters. Throw that bad boy up on a trailer and head on up...

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
2 words for ya "Road trip", bring your fishing pole and hip weighters. Throw that bad boy up on a trailer and head on up...
Quit trying to tempt me (it might work and then how would ya explain the new car to your wife). I have'nt been fishing in that area in about 20 years, the fishing alone is worth the trip.
A good friend owns a Classic Motor Car shop nearby and offered today to sell through his shop with no fee's. I'd like to hang on to the car but my wife has a bug to get a new HHR and I've got too many vehicles sitting around as it is.
The saddest part is the new Suburban is coming home this week and she doesnt want it, she's got her mind set on the HHR. I dont know what I'm gonna do with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts