GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of white-knuckling through the rain, so I shopped, and searched, and agonized, and, today, I finally had my new tires installed:

Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar (do you always have to add that "with Kevlar" part?), 275/65x18.

The '09 Silverado Z71 also has a levelling kit, and Westin bull bar and running boards added, lately.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Looks good! How do you like your new "tars"??:glasses:

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I like 'em! Enjoy and I'll keep my fingers crossed for rain, as you gotta test those bad boys out.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I thought only people in Alabama had "tars",guess I was wrong.:lol:How many members in other states have "tars"?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I had no clue what "tars" were until I saw "tires" written in the post. I was thinking more along the line something related to "tar heels." So I would say that Colorado is a big NO.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Mike, I don't think anyone west of the Mississippi has "tars".:lol:

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Got it...well I'll be in Little Rock, AR next month....is that close enough for me to hear the word "tars" live and in person?....should I start practicing?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
We got 4 tars on all our trucks here in NC!

And to the OP, yes! You have to add " with Kevlar" everytime you say what you have....sorry, just have to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
10-4 on that AJARMAN.... we gots tars on everythang around here!
just put new tars on my 03 silverado about 3 hours ago.
i went with the HANKOOK ATM RF10s 600.00 out the door.
i think i am gonna like these things and the look real good too.
not loud at all and handle pretty good best i can tell,, i don't know what air pressure they put in them yet.
Hankook-RF10.jpg
i think they will do the job just fine,, and i had enough left to get some gas to get back home too!

terry m

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
They look sick but I have been told they are quite $h!tty on ice. In PA I'd imagine you'd run into some, hope they do well. I'd like to know how they fair regardless, and milage although with a 2 mile commute I dunno if you'll get much out of em before I need new "tars" Haha

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
They look really good!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm originally from Texas, and Pennsylvania will never penetrate my accent!

Well, the commute isn't two miles, it's more like 32. It was just two miles from the tire shop to the office. I bought the tires from TireRack.com (cheaper than local, even with shipping, and 4WD Hardware didn't have them in stock). First thing I noticed is that you can feel the tire treads on the pavement. It's a minor vibration, and I think it's kinda cool. Second thing I noticed: my average MPG dropped.

So, I dragged the camper from home (about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh) up to Waterloo, NY, in the Finger Lakes region, about 300 miles. Average MPG: 7.9, down from 9.1, with the Bridgestones. I can't swear that the total load is exactly the same as previous trips to Rochester, NY, or OBX, where I got the other mileage readings, but it couldn't be that much different.

I guess I'll have to get a saddle tank! Do they make a dual tank, gas on one side and diesel on the other? I'd love to be able to stock up for the tractor.

I haven't had a chance to take the truck off-road since installing the new tires, but I am on vacation, so there's always a chance! I'll post what I find.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

They look sick but I have been told they are quite $h!tty on ice. In PA I'd imagine you'd run into some, hope they do well. I'd like to know how they fair regardless, and milage although with a 2 mile commute I dunno if you'll get much out of em before I need new "tars" Haha
We get plenty of ice, but more snow than ice. I'm counting on them being better on either than the Bridgestones, which were pretty bad on anything but dry pavement, once the treads wore down a little. They were good in the rain, when they were new.

It looks like I'm down about 1 MPG, and these tires seem to run warmer than the smoother A/Ts. I'm gauging that by the fact that they show a higher pressure from cold than the A/Ts did. At a curb pressure of 35 psi, cold, they'll get to 42 at highway speeds and ~80 degree ambient air temps. When hauling the camper, the rears got to about 45 psi, and the fronts stayed around 42.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Excellent evidence that noisy/aggressive tires use more fuel. You might try adding a little more air to the rears when towing to reduce heat buildup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
took about a 150 trip on the new hankook atm rf10s yesterday and they were great.
i aired them up to about 41 lbs (44) max. and they were as smooth as a baby's butt.
handled very good, braking good. went off road for just a little and they were super.
if the mileage holds up these tars will be highly recommended. very very quiet on the road
at 70 mph. so far i give these tars a 10.

terry m

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
We have tie-uhs up here.
I have an Aunt/Uncle in VT and now that you mention it, I think they do kind of sound like that. ...they do something odd with the way pronounce many words with the letter "r"s.

Anyway, Kevin, nice thread, as we got to see you new "Tars" and some of learned some new ways words.

PS...not sure if you changed or someone else but the title of thread changed to "Tires"

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have an Aunt/Uncle in VT and now that you mention it, I think they do kind of sound like that. ...they do something odd with the way pronounce many words with the letter "r"s.
You drive your Toyota to Bar Harbor. We drive the Toyoter to Bah Hahbah....

·
Registered
57 Posts
well i have a week on my new hankook ATM RF10s and i love'm.
they handle well and are very quiet , drove in a heavy rain storm this evening
and thet perfomed great. braking was good too.
have already had 2 guys at work asking about them and said they were gonna try them
also. for the price and performance i think these are hard to beat.

. hankook side wall.jpg

terry m

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts