GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a place on line to get a good deal on new tires for my Suburban? I know I am looking for LT245/75R/16. I am having trouble with the speed and load ratings. I use the "burb" to tow my 27 foot travel trailer and I need a tire that will handle the load. I have looked at several web sites but I am still looking at paying over $500 for new tires. I can't see paying that much for tires when I'm not %100 sure of what I'm getting. I guess what I'm asking is, " how do I know which ones I need for towing heavy loads?"
Can anyone help. I'm confused.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am always worried when people buy tires off the internet, and bring them to my shop... they usually spend more than they would have if they just came to us in the first pace too... Your local shop can get you a deal I'm sure, and they would be able to fit you with what you need with no headache on your part when it comes to the added shipping cost and other issues when you buy online... It is NOT always a better deal trust me... They would be able to help you face to face too... The internet is sooo bland, and you never realy know what your getting when it comes to tires anymore... Plus if they are doing it right your local shop has to log in each tire. They come with number, and have to be recorded for future issues since the whole Firestone/Ford thing a few years back. That is also why most new vehicles, and all in a yea or so have tire pressure monitors...

·
Registered
22 Posts
On a side note... you will not be paying less than $500 for a GOOD set... You have a truck, and you tow with it... Don't skimp on the shoes bro! Think of what is on that trailer... Is it worth more than $500? Not only that, but I'm sure your truck is worth more than that too...lol...

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
There is a lot to be said for dealing with a "local shop", especially if there is a good one close to you. I have bought my last few "sets" of tires from individuals on "Craig's List". The last set I bought was a set of 265R70X17 Good Year H/P on new GMC rims (w/pressure sensors) for $500. These were new "take offs" and the guy worked at a dealership. I am sure there may be some "horror stories" from someone who has had a bad experience in doing this, but I've had good luck. Also, these are usually "local", so you can check them out without having to have them "shipped". Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will start looking around the local shops. I just thought a tire was a tire to some extent. I knew I didn't want to get some off the wall brand so I was looking at name like good year and dunlop. I just could not the all the information I needed about the tire. I understand what you're saying about the face to face deal. And the customer support on the internet ( or lack there of). I tried several times to get answers from the on line dealers and never got a reply. Thanks for the help and I am definitely going to start checking out some of my local dealers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hook,
Just to get a good idea about tires and how they are rated by users you can have a look on "tirerack.com"..... just input the year and make and it will bring up all they have available, and you can select for speed rating, purpose such as on or off road ect, plus when you look at each tire you can see how it rates by users for dry traction, wet traction, ice, snow ect.... I only use it for comparison purposes and have never bought off them myself because I agree with the above, if you get the tire and don't like it, you'll be paying shipping twice... and you could always say "Hey, I found a set of 4 online for XXX" and you may get a price match to boot if your lucky....... Bigchief

1 - 6 of 6 Posts