GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with my heat and ac controls and its getting warm here. I started having problems with the controls not operating thee blower location properly heat came out just in the wrong place designated and now my AC will not even kick on. I read a few threads on other sites and was suggested to replace the control panel so I followed counsel and got a replacement from the JY the replacement may have the exact same issue but Im not sure the problem persists exactly should I get a brand new one to try or am I barking up the wrong tree. Help please my wife drives it need I say more o yes did I mention its getting Hot. Thanks for any Help.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I wouldn't spend money for a new controller untill you try a couple other things first.
You could have 2 separate problems here. Since it's getting warm where you live, this is probably the first time you've turned on the AC for a while, but it could have been leaking freon all winter. There is a low pressure switch that keeps the AC compressor from turning on when the freon is low (this saves the compressor from grenading). Try bridging the 2 wires on the low pressure switch with the engine running & the AC switched on at the dash. If the compressor clutch kicks on when you bridge these wires, then the system is low, & you need to have your system recharged. Don't leave the switch bridged. This is a short time test only & should not be run like this for more than a few seconds just to test it.

The air box problem (as far as where the air is coming out) probably has to do with the door not moving to the proper place.
*Does it always come out the same place no matter where you have the switches selected?
*Does it change when you change the controll, but just not to the right place?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome to the club....

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
********thread moved here*********

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
It does change when I change the controll, but just not to the right place is the problem.
OK, since the air flow is changing positions when you are selecting different positions on the controls, (but just not to the right position) then your control unit is probably good & the motor gear is out of time or stripped with the door control rod/lever. I believe this is the motor in the bottom of the air box & is accessable from the lower left (drivers side) of the box. I think Caddiac had this problem on his. If you pm him he will probably walk you through how to fix this part.

As for the AC not blowing cold air, procede with checking the low pressure switch outlined above, to see if there is any freon in your AC system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I jumped the switch and the clutch did not kick I checked the plug on the rear of the comp and had power there however the plug near the clutch had no power not sure if it should or not.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Yes the plug at the comp. clutch should have power. Verify that you are bridging the low pressure switch. It is the switch that is in the large diameter hose that runs from the compressor to the evaporator (firewall) it is probably in or near the reciever drier, or in the hard metal portion of that line (model years vary) & I think the wires are blue but not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts