GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have always wanted a late 80s or early 90s 4X4 Suburban and finally just decide to purchase it. I bought a a GMC Suburban witha 5.7 L engine and auto transmission. A couple of questions.... Is this a "R" or "V" model? The truck is a GMC V2500 SLT 4X4 Suburban. What type of transmission would I have on the truck, a 4 speed automatic with overdrive or something different?
How do I know whether I have automatic or manual hubs?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
:sign0016:First of all, welcome to the forums. You will find lots of good info here. You didn't mention the actual year of the burb you bought, which always helps. You most likely have a automatic trans with OD. I would guess that you have auto 4wd. Manual hubs have to be engaged at the hub and typically have these on the front hubs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New to Suburbans part 2

Yes, my suburban is a 1990 and thanks to unplugged, now I know that I have automatic 4WD.
a few more questions.....
1. What kind of repair would you recommend for slow moving power windows?
2. I never owned a 4x4...... I tried it today and after grindning the gears for a short time, I figuered out that I had to be in "P" to engage the 4WD. What is the appropriate way to operate the 4x4 in this vehicle?
3. What "do it yourself" manual do you recommend... the "Haynes" or the "Chilton"?

Thanks for the previous replies and look forward for your valuable advice!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The window motors may need the bushings replaced. I know that some motors have them in their gear boxes. Do you have photos of your new truck? I'd like to see what I could do to change mine a bit.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Yes, my suburban is a 1990 and thanks to unplugged, now I know that I have automatic 4WD.
a few more questions.....
1. What kind of repair would you recommend for slow moving power windows?
2. I never owned a 4x4...... I tried it today and after grindning the gears for a short time, I figuered out that I had to be in "P" to engage the 4WD. What is the appropriate way to operate the 4x4 in this vehicle?
3. What "do it yourself" manual do you recommend... the "Haynes" or the "Chilton"?

Thanks for the previous replies and look forward for your valuable advice!
I use the Haynes manual. If you have the floor shift you should be able to shift into 4wd Hi on the fly (anytime), 4low only in neutral or park.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts