GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Jason and me and my wife are on our second Suburban (first was a 99). The new burb is an 87 (well, it's new to us anyway) V20 with the TBI 350 and a 3" lift. We love the truck but hate the hesitation we are feeling when taking off from a stop. The truck almost dies no matter how you accelerate (light on the pedal or floor it). I got some throttle body and intake cleaner and cleaned the throttle body which cleared up the rough idle but the hesitation is still there. Cap, rotor, wires and plugs are new and I'm out of ideas. The motor has just over 100k on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, my name is Jason and me and my wife are on our second Suburban (first was a 99). The new burb is an 87 (well, it's new to us anyway) V20 with the TBI 350 and a 3" lift. We love the truck but hate the hesitation we are feeling when taking off from a stop. The truck almost dies no matter how you accelerate (light on the pedal or floor it). I got some throttle body and intake cleaner and cleaned the throttle body which cleared up the rough idle but the hesitation is still there. Cap, rotor, wires and plugs are new and I'm out of ideas. The motor has just over 100k on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Have you looked at the air filter?

Kevin

Reactions: ChevyFan

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club.

Sorry to hear about the hesitation in your 350. You didn't mention a fuel filter change in your list of tune up items. Any check engine light?
You might consider having the codes pulled at a local Auto Zone or somewhere similar. Autozone will pull the codes for free..
Sometimes faulty components like the Oxygen sensor will not always trip the light.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First Welcome Aboard, nice to see some people are still buying the older ones.

My first guess would be carb needs to be rebuilt. But it’s an 87 isn’t that the first year they came out with the throttle body?

So I have to agree with Traileader. Change the fuel filter, check the fuel pressure when you have the filter off, with the ignition on, and with the engine running. As it could also be the fuel pump not being able to keep up.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Modded?

Is the vehicle stock or has it been modified. Specifically, headers, intake manifold or TBI spacer? When accelerating from an idle the ECM controls the fuel feed to the TBI. Take the air cleaner off and watch the injectors to see if they are spraying fuel during the acceleration cycle. (transmission in neutral) Fuel pressure should be checked, but if there have been mods, the vehicle may need the ECM reprogrammed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i agree with all the above, check fuel pressure these pumps can die slow and give the issue listed. other wise check the normal stuff intake, vacc leaks and maybe run some Seafoam thru the system to clean it up 1 can to 1/2 tank of gas and replace the fuel filter and 1 can thru the vaccum booster hose and let sit for a bit. you will notice a day night difference......mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
don't know about the fuel filter, air filter is new though. no engine mods at all, just the suspension lift. when i was cleaning the TB the injectors seemed to be doing their job (no hesitation in neutral, just under acceleration). no check engine light either. it ran fine today of course :rolleyes: but i will go pick up a new fuel filter tomorrow just for s&g and check the pressure. it better not be the fuel pump, i just replaced the one in my 99 before we sold it and what a PITA that was!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
If you have a timing light take the air cleaner off. Hook the light up like you would to check your timing, then shine the light down the throttle body and look at the spray pattern of the injectors.

They should both have a nice cone pattern to them. If they don’t have the system cleaned at a shop. They have a lot stronger injector cleaner than you can by.

Or you can send them out to be professionally cleaned. I forget how much it is but it’s a lot cheaper than new injectors at $150 a peace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts