GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating purchasing what appears to be a very clean 2002 Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4. It has the 6.0L V8 and Auto Tranny. It has 95,000 and the price is right in line with my meager budget. Being new to this vehicle, is there anything I should be wary of or look for as I try to make this purchase? Things I should look for to give me a better idea of weather its good or not? It super clean inside and out. it runs well from what I been able to drive. It will be a 3rd vehicle for my family that will be used once or twice a week and perform weekend towing duties pulling out camp trailer in the mountains of Utah. I want something that can last another 5 years or so. What kind of things should I plan for maintainace and repair wise on a truck this old? Is there still life left in this thing? Should I walk away? Carfax can back clean and free of trouble.

Any advice/thoughts/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
95,000 miles isn't anything to worry about. Many members here have over 300K on theirs with very little spent on repairs. Best thing to do is see if you can get previous service records for this truck so you can make sure it was properly maintained. Then go drive it & listen for any strange noises, proper brake function, steering play, abnormal suspension noises, check the 4WD & make sure it works, run it around a few corners, & find a couple steep hills so you can see if it dogs out. Watch your guages & make sure it doesn't overheat, & that the oil pressure is stable.
Also check it for an auxilliary transmission cooler since you're going to be towing with it. An aux cooler will be mounted out front of the radiator so look for it. What does your camp trailer weigh fully loaded?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our current trailer is just a bitty 17" 4,000lb when loaded. But we want to upgrade to a a couple of 4 wheelers and a bigger trailer. Maybe 24' or 26' The truck is the first step. I'd bet we'd be hauling more like 7 to 8000lb.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Pulling that kind of weight I'd definitely go with one of the new style coolers like Mike 99"HEARTBEAT put on his truck, even if the truck already has an auxillary cooler. The current cooler would probably be ok for the small trailer but not the 8,000 lb upgrade. My boat & trailer weighs 7500 lbs. & pulling hills in the summer brings my trans temp up. My coolers (2) are rated at 24,000 lbs. total GVWR, BUT they are the old style that don't have the good tube to fin contact that the new style does. Use the search function at the top of this page to find his thread on his new cooler (it really dropped his temp, much more than the factory GM aux cooler).
Also forgot to add above, that when you get back from your test drive & the engine & trans are nice & hot, pull the trans dipstick & smell it. It should not smell burned. It should be nice & red, not brown or burnt. Take a white paper towel with you & put a little on it to determine color.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We actually have a 2002 2500hd 2wd shop truck at work wit the 6.0 and auto trans. It gets hammered on around the city, goes cross country, and tows a gooseneck with heavy loads sometimes. It drove real nice throught the first 150,000 miles. It has around 180,000 now and still pulls hard, just starting to get the squeaks and rattles of an older truck. Steering is a little sloppier but not bad. Overall it's been a real solid truck for us.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What's the price? I paid $12,000 for my '03 2500HD with less than 65k miles three years ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
look for paint overspray, that will tell you if its had body work done or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts