GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!....As the title states, I'm a noob!..and I got a couple questions. My brother recently(as in yesterday) decided to undertake a Suburban-based project and I think we're both kinda in over our heads for the moment :p I will be the first to admit that I don't know a whole lot about the Suburban, or even GMC trucks in general. :oops:

Anywho, a little background on the project: At this point it's basically a frame from an '87 'Burban 2wd with front suspension/steering intact. Plans are prolly the obvious 350...maybe 396??/undecided tranny....engine must remain carbeurated!!....I know chevy switched to TBI in '87??....so any pre 87 350/396/454 would drop in?? As for the tranny...I would personally lke to go 4wd(700R4)....what options do we have if we were to go this route....or in other words, what can be kept from the current 2wd front end? The motor I can do, when it comes to the tranny, I'm lost!!

I apolgize for the newbie questions, and if you want, just point me in the direction of some helpful threads/sites, especially regarding what other vehicles parts can be sourced from. But any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
-James

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the site, have to run to work, looks like a good project!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You're probably not going to be able to keep much except for the wheels, and brake system. You might find it easier to see if you can find a junked 4x4 burban of the same year, and keep whats good between the two. My book only goes back to '88, and it lists the differences between 4wheel, and 2wheel, as being Torsion bars for 4wheel, and coil springs for 2wheel. I'm not sure if torsion bars were used on '87 but if they did, then you'd also need to change out the cross member at the tail end of the tranny, in addition to every other component for steering, and suspension.

I wouldn't say you're in over your heads, because it's definitely do-able. But you might find it easier to find a rolling frame 4x4.

For some reason, I keep thinking that the 4wheel has a boxed front frame, and the 2wheel has a C Channel frame, but I could be thinking of the differences of the 2500 vs the 1500.

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted on your progress!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
How's the project going?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.