GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

Getting down to work on my restoration and I want to remove the rusty wheelhouses for repair.

I have two short questions (I know- I am asking alot for my post) but I am in a pickle!

1. Is the inner bed skin removable to allow for access to the top where the inner and outer wheelhouses meet?

2. Can you purchase inner wheel houses? (the part basically inside the truck)?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hello all

Getting down to work on my restoration and I want to remove the rusty wheelhouses for repair.

I have two short questions (I know- I am asking alot for my post) but I am in a pickle!

1. Is the inner bed skin removable to allow for access to the top where the inner and outer wheelhouses meet?

You should be able to find what you're looking for at either JCWhitney.com, or ckresto.com

You might want to PM 84fiero123 on this one, he used to work the GM assembly line, he might know.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hello all

I purchased these for my 84 Chevy p/u years ago from my NAPA dealer, (aftermarket are cheaper but sometimes take some finessing) they look the same as a 1/2 bed wheel tub.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I purchased these for my 84 Chevy p/u years ago from my NAPA dealer, (aftermarket are cheaper but sometimes take some finessing) they look the same as a 1/2 bed wheel tub.
Yup most parts stores have rust repair part for these babies.

But if you can't find any local, there are places on the net like.

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?p=sm&OVRAW=rust repair pannels&OVKEY=rust repair panel&OVMTC=standard

As far as removing the bed I really wouldn’t try it, you may find it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

It is attached in so many places to so much of the rest of the truck that you will be pulling your hair out.

You are doing all this work yourself?

You got guts, I would do it but then I know how all this stuff fits together, spot welds need to be drilled out and then welded back in. A tough job if you have never done anything like that before.

Good luck, you got your work cut out for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts