GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I scoured the entire web looking at different tuner reviews only to become more confused than when I started so I need your help. I have a 2011 Silverado half ton 5.3 liter 4x4 ext. cab. with the tow package. I need the programmer to do a few things to help drivability issues. The longer I own this truck the more confused it becomes IMO.

1. Disable active fuel management. This thing could make you sea sick kicking in and out of V4 mode with the cruise set at 55 mph. I can't believe GM didn't put a button on the dash for this.

2. A good transmission program to help firm up the shifts slightly, hold gears a little longer before up shift, and possibly enable downshift mode like it does in tow haul assuming this wont have any unpleasant long term effects. I want the ability to change / tweak these things to improve normal driving conditions and while towing. I don’t race the truck so wide open throttle performance is not important. Just looking for overall better drivability.

I'm new to the Chevy 6 speed so I'm not sure how the torque converter lock up is controlled, or what improvements over stock should be made to help the transmission live longer and perform well in the meantime. Because the AFM is partially mechanical in these trucks will turning it off create any problems long term?

VIN # 8th digit is a 3 if this helps at all.

Please don’t allow this to turn into a brand war, just looking for updated info that pertains to my need.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Check out Diablosports website for the product info and there forums.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Welcome to the Club!! X2 on Diablo products. I have the predator and love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to register over at Diablo before I registered here, however I never received the registration e-mail allowing my membership. Dug through my e-mail looking to see if it kicked it into a spam / junk folder to no avail.

Does the predator allow transmission changes? I thought reading over there that the toque management settings had not been released yet? Do I need to mess with torque management settings to achieve what I listed above? What about other options?

Thanks for the reply's, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
From what I've heard there working on the TorqueManagment settings. If you buy a Trinity or Preditor you will be able to update via e-mail when there released. You can still enjoy the others mods the two programmers offer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have a performance shop around? I stopped in to the local one by me to see about a tuner for my truck and the guy at the shop mentioned a custom tune. The price of the custom tune was around the same price as the box one. The guy said he could actually tune more out of the vehicles with the custom tune, than with the box tune. You may want to see about going this route, the only problem I see, is if you want to constantly change something, or if you would like the code reader function of the hand held. That's just a thought, good luck with what ever you decide to do though.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
You can get custom tunes for your Diablo products from a Diablo authorized tuner. Yes you have to pay for the custom tune on top off the cost of the programmer, but when YOU want to make changes YOU can do it and as mentioned you have a code reader. You can data-log with the Dialblo's and send that info to a tuner like diablew and he can make you a custom tune. If you go to a dealer for warranty work, just download the stock factory tune back into the trucks computer and your all set.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok, so I scoured the entire web looking at different tuner reviews only to become more confused than when I started so I need your help. I have a 2011 Silverado half ton 5.3 liter 4x4 ext. cab. with the tow package. I need the programmer to do a few things to help drivability issues. The longer I own this truck the more confused it becomes IMO.

1. Disable active fuel management. This thing could make you sea sick kicking in and out of V4 mode with the cruise set at 55 mph. I can't believe GM didn't put a button on the dash for this.

2. A good transmission program to help firm up the shifts slightly, hold gears a little longer before up shift, and possibly enable downshift mode like it does in tow haul assuming this wont have any unpleasant long term effects. I want the ability to change / tweak these things to improve normal driving conditions and while towing. I don’t race the truck so wide open throttle performance is not important. Just looking for overall better drivability.

I'm new to the Chevy 6 speed so I'm not sure how the torque converter lock up is controlled, or what improvements over stock should be made to help the transmission live longer and perform well in the meantime. Because the AFM is partially mechanical in these trucks will turning it off create any problems long term?

VIN # 8th digit is a 3 if this helps at all.

Please don’t allow this to turn into a brand war, just looking for updated info that pertains to my need.

Thank you!
If you are looking for good things to do with shifts, the bullydog triple gt is pretty good. I use the tow shifts and it shifts later and firmer.
It also has a gas thing where you can set how many mpg you want and it will tell you if you are doing good or not. It also has a lot of things you can monitor on the screen. I like it a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the Predator offer any trans adjustments for the oh'11 silverados or is the only way to "tweak" the trans through the torque management?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can a custom tune change the torque management, transmission settings? Everything I've been able to find says coming soon for the predator and the trinity?

·
Registered
413 Posts
no, not currently... and the predator's will never get the tcm/tranny support... but the Trinity will in a future update...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the info!

Is there an off the shelf programmer that offers trans adjustments / improvements that is available currently with the ability to disable AFM? Reading superchips website I'm not sure if the torque management is available for my truck and it looks like Edge doesnt offer disabling of the AFM.

Any help is appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts