GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a newbie here and going to retire soon. I am not very mechanically inclined but can take instruction, follow guidance and will have the time and motivation to do things what I hope is the correct way.

I am interested in restoring a classic Chevy stepside pickup. What forums should I focus on? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not really sure yet. I have heard that Chevy's are best for beginners (if there such a thing which) is why I registered here but I do not know that for a fact.

All I really know at this point that I want a sidestep and am thinking anywhere between 1955-1975. Where is the best place to search? I live in VA but can travel anywhere on the east coast to view if necessary. I'm thinking my budget to buy is around $7,500. Is that realistic? I have many decisions to make but want it to be a well thought out process and appreciate any and all advice I receive.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
For $7500, you can find something that is drivable, depending on how far back in the years you mentioned you go. In that time frame, you are looking at 5 different generations of trucks. 1955-1957 are all on gen, 1958-59 another gen and can be a little hard to come by on your price range. 1960 to 1966 is another gen, and you maybe able to find one in Simi rough shape for $7500. The 1967-1972 trucks are another gen and some of the most popular trucks GM built. And in 1973, GM came out with the square body trucks, and ran this design through 1987. These should be the most adorable of all of your choices. Then GM came out with the GMT400 trucks, 1988 -1998 body style. These trucks are the new classics. A vehicle is a classic at 25 years old. The gmt400 trucks also known as OBS trucks are perhaps the most reliable trucks GM ever built. In the end, it is really all up to you, and what catches your eye. Also how much work are you willing and are able to put into an old truck. In the long run, you are better buying a truck already done. It will cost less, but if you do it your self, there is the satisfaction of what you have done, and then it is just the way you want it to be. F B market place maybe your best source for local vehicles. There are places that sale classics but they are usually pricey. Maple motors in Tennessee usually has good prices, and will even ship to you, or you can always fly or drive in, and pick it up your self.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts