GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was at work today and i pulled out a 97 silverado and i have to say i really like the newer interiors over the old ones, alot cleaner looking and everything isnt in wierd positions and i was wondering how hard it would be to put in newer seats, newer dash, steering wheel, door panels, etc etc. my current seats arent power(if that was an option back in the day), i have PW and PL. would those just wire right up to the newer switches? and then there is the cruise control and air bag, my buddy said there was a shop that will do some of that kind of work around here but im assuming it would be pretty expensive so some of it i would probably do myself.

on the other hand i could just wait a while and get a bit newer truck and not worry about all this stuff but i thought i would ask anyway, i have started training for a premotion at work which will give me a big raise so we shall see

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I had a '96 Ext Cab and really liked the interior & front end better than the earlier ones. Everything should be a swap, except for the dash. That would be more than I would tackle. Good luck with the promo'! When you get it, treat yourself to a newer truck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i might just wait for a little while, but i would like to do at least the seats if i get everything i want for this truck and still want to wait a while, did they make the newer interior in blue? or would i have to go with a different color?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also interested in this information, so if anyone can offer some known and sound swap info, please share it.
I have a 93 GMC ext cab and want to swap out :
1) the bench seat for a bucket/console or bucket/armrest bench seat, power would be nice
2) the pw/pl door panels for the newer style
3) the dash if possible

I have burgandy interior so I'm hoping to find out if they made burgandy interiors up through this chassis style.
I like the idea of having a thrird seating space up front b/c my truck doesn't have the thrid door, but I want some better looking and fitting seats too.
The door shells look to be the same, so I assume that the lock and window power units attach the same, the only difference might be in the wiring harnesses to the swithes. The switches definitely look different. Splicing in the wiring should not be difficult if needed.
Dashes are definitely the hardest interior swap I've ever performed on other cars, but as long as the chassis wiring harnesses swap and the newer guage clusters are not electronic (speedo mainly) then this should be a fairly simple swap, as far as dash swaps go.

But, having someone who has been through it already is a great resource, so please share your info.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Bill.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It is a doable swap from the older 88-94 interior to 95-99 interior, the problem you would run into is the wirning harnesses from the older to newer style interior, the bundles are grouped different and you have more computer management in the interiors from the vortec engine motors so more things will go to the computer first then to the dashboard. But you can do it. Your best bet is to start checking out lowrider mags or truckin mags, many of the show truck guys do this swap

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah i might just wait for a little while, but i would like to do at least the seats if i get everything i want for this truck and still want to wait a while, did they make the newer interior in blue? or would i have to go with a different color?
My 97 has blue interior, but I've only got the cheap bench seat. I would love to find blue buckets or the fancy bench to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a doable swap from the older 88-94 interior to 95-99 interior, the problem you would run into is the wirning harnesses from the older to newer style interior, the bundles are grouped different and you have more computer management in the interiors from the vortec engine motors so more things will go to the computer first then to the dashboard. But you can do it. Your best bet is to start checking out lowrider mags or truckin mags, many of the show truck guys do this swap
If that is the case (with the wiring/computer), I would most likely not do the dash as part of the swap, unless someone has a set-by-step how-to. The big problems I have with my dash are the cupholders, the radio layout, and the semi-digital HVAC controls (I'd rather have dials or sliders).
I'm mainly more interested in the door panels and seats. Then maybe an overhead console. I already have a radio install kit, to replace the blower motor resistor, and to maybe replace the oil pressure gauge (always reads close to 60 and over clocks with revs unless dipstick is dry than it reads 40 to 60).
Thanks, Bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts