GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today GM announced their plans to official plans to invest $133-million into production facilities at its Wentsville, Missouri Assembly and Stamping plant. This additional investment amount in the Wentsville plant brings the total midsize pickup investment to $513-million.

This is good news for GM Truck fans, as Wentzville is already undergoing construction for production of GM’s next-generation midsize pickups, the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.

The additional investment will provide an additional 114,000 square-feet to boost the manufacturing process. The Wentsville assembly plant is the production home for the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full-size vans as well.

“Our investment in a third stamping press is a win for the business, Wentzville employees and our customers,” said Larry Zahner, manufacturing manager, GM North America. “Stamping parts where we assemble vehicles improves manufacturing efficiency and contributes to the high level of quality our customers deserve.”

Wentzville Assembly employs approximately 2,000 employees across two shifts. The new press will increase the plant’s capacity in stamping fenders, doors and other key components for the new pickups and full-size vans.

Community Soil Crane Tree Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Van Motor vehicle Vehicle Transport Car Engine

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto show Chevrolet

GM Wentzville by the numbers:
Year opened:1983
Employees:2,000
Union:Local 2250
Facility size:3.7 million sq. ft. of manufacturing space on 438 acres

Significant Wentzville Dates:
June 1980Plant groundbreaking
December 1983First vehicle produced
September 19891,000,000 th vehicle produced
December 1995First full-size van produced
May 1996Stamping plant groundbreaking
June 2001Retooling for GMT 610 full-size vans
February 20031,000,000 th van produced
December 20102,000,000 th van produced
November 2011$380-million investment for midsize pickups
May 2012Groundbreaking for new body shop
June 2013$133-million investment for new stamping press

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol, not a lot of love for the new Colorado on here huh?

·
Registered
954 Posts
lol, not a lot of love for the new Colorado on here huh?
I think it's awfully ugly. It gave up its truck heritage for that of an Arcadia's

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think it's awfully ugly. It gave up its truck heritage for that of an Arcadia's
The Colorado and Canyon when they came out were quite possibly the most hideous trucks on the planet.

I am assuming the new Colorado is just a re-badged Holden Colorado, if yes, it is definitely a vast improvement over the one that left.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I think most of us that drive full-sized pick-ups have no love for mid-sized pick-ups, but that's just my opinion. The old S-10s were respectable but the Colorado is a down-grade from an S-10, IMO.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think most of us that drive full-sized pick-ups have no love for mid-sized pick-ups, but that's just my opinion. The old S-10s were respectable but the Colorado is a down-grade from an S-10, IMO.
Agree entirely. I like the 1st gen canyon/Colorado but not enough to own one. The gen 2 looks even worse than the pos Malibu! I thought that would never happen, but once again I was wrong mister!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to hold judgement until I actually sit in one. My dad had a fully loaded '98 GMC Sonoma 4x4 and that was a great little truck, used to take it up to the mountains and yes it was tight but it got the job done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it reminds me of a Honda Ridgeline... and those things are ugly as F. On the other hand a turbo diesel in one of these sounds like an awesome idea haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going to hold judgement until I actually sit in one. My dad had a fully loaded '98 GMC Sonoma 4x4 and that was a great little truck, used to take it up to the mountains and yes it was tight but it got the job done.

I'm on my 2nd Colorado. 4X4. Great truck.

And I'll get one of the new ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just seen the new Colorado commercial last night. The one with AC/DC's Back in Black playing, the new version looks like a damn Toyo Hillux. And those of you that don't know what a Hillux is, it's Toyo's mid size that is wildly popular around the world. Top Gear, BBC version, took two the the north pole and then Capt. Slow took one of those up a volcano. Just looks like a newer version of the 2010 models we had in Afghanistan. Can't believe they butchered it so bad.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
it reminds me of a Honda Ridgeline... and those things are ugly as F. On the other hand a turbo diesel in one of these sounds like an awesome idea haha.
This was my original thought

1 - 12 of 12 Posts