GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we'll I am talking about a 8 yr plain. I'm going to keep my current truck for that long, give or take a year or two. The way I'm looking at this is at that time kid is out of collage, house will be paid off, wife should have about 2 more years on her dream car (told her she can get hers first). She wants to get a RV at some point but don't think she knows how much they are for what she wants. So I want to make sure I will have no problems towing anything. So with that in mind. What I want is; crew cab, 4X4, full bed, 2500, 6.0, 4.10 gear, loaded, lifted.

Suggestions?
I love my Chevy but do I go Chevy or gmc?

Am I over thinking this...
Am I over dreaming.
This is my goal, I know things change but my truck wont.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Your not over dreaming at all!! With any GM truck anything is possible!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, with a 5 percent chance of a 5th wheel. Do I need to go bigger or just go with a large tow behind camper. Do I stay with 1500. I know it all depends on other plains. Do I go with something that can do about anything or everything. I do know I'm looking at 45k give or take. I will put a plow on it for more of a personal use, help friends and old ppl.
Do I go deramax. The thin with that is I heard they really don't get better mpg.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are very few thing I do not like about my truck which is not the trucks fault it was my choice. I don't like that my back door windows don't open or my back window, not 4x4, and my v6, dog hair sticks in seats. Basically some I can fix but most is opinions. I will go leather if heated seats. Can you get them with cooling seats too?

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Cooling seats do exist! Um from what I've researched about the Duramax is gas mileage is all dependent on how you drive and no so much on weight of truck and load. If you drive conservatively the Dmax gets great gas mileage even with a heavy load. Your plans also may change if GM actually puts of their 4.5L Dmax in the 1500s because that engine will get amazing MPG and have tons of power.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
if you are looking at possibly a 5th wheel I would go duramax. I like the 6.0 and dont know if mpg has gotten better but I get 12mpg empty on a good day. The diesel empty will get closer to 20. Now of course towing your back down to the single digits in both.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, we'll I just did a quick build on 2500 and 3500 basically with all the same stuff.
2500= $51000 / 3500= $55000 /3500 Diesel= $57800.
I know a lot of ppl would say that is way to much but... With house paid off ($1100 a month) and wife has her dream suv (Pease of crap) mdx. It would be just bills, taxes, and my truck. Her damn suv is actually more than the truck. I dive about 10000-15000 a year so that thing will last me forever.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Well the Dmax has an average life of at least 250,000+miles and the Allison is built like a tank, which makes sense because Allison builds the Abrams M1A1's transmission. Also if you get a decent tuner like one from Banks you can really squeeze out the MPG and extra power from that engine. Also there`s a massive aftermarket for the Dmax and Allison because they have been on production for so much longer than the other current turbo diesels.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, at this point diesel is out. But now. Umm mm [MENTION=26043]dsfloyd[/MENTION] 12 mpg is not bad. I get 13 in my v6. Everyone that I know said, Yhaaa get the v6 you will get great mpg. Yep, NOT. Lol

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the difference besides name in the chevy/gmc?

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I think by the time you get a 2500 [MENTION=53221]Curky[/MENTION] the 6.0 will be replaced by the more powerful 6.2. Also hopefully by that point trucks will have 8 speed trannys. So you'd likely be getting 14+ at that point with the new tech and newer tranny.

·
6,019 Posts
I would go 2500 DMax. That is just my opinion. I would rather have the ability to tow whatever I wanted, rather than the "Well, that is a little heavy for my truck, wish I could tow that, wish I had the power" Just buy the power to start with. I would love a Diesel Yukon xl or Suburban. But, since they no longer make one I will either have to buy an new truck and have it converted or convert my current truck. This is all "my dream truck" scenario though.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
What is the difference besides name in the chevy/gmc?
Depending on year and how designs go forward it varys:

OBS trucks chevy or gmc was simply determined by the logos and grill on the truck.

NBS it was fairly similar as the OBS with just slight cosmetic changes but they were also different tail lights and the addition of the Denali trims for GMC which had different drivetrains than the Chevys

NNBS there are some interior differences and many more front end changes but over all they are the same trucks.

With the new 2014+ trucks GM tried to make the two lines as different as possible with totally different front ends different interiors and more brand unique trims and styling.

The real difference with Chevy and GMC is that Chevys are built for the everyday person and hard worker who needs a tough as nails truck that also can haul his family in comfort while GMCs are built to be tough as well but also have tons of luxury in addition to that rugged ability.

- - - Updated - - -

I would go 2500 DMax. That is just my opinion. I would rather have the ability to tow whatever I wanted, rather than the "Well, that is a little heavy for my truck, wish I could tow that, wish I had the power" Just buy the power to start with. I would love a Diesel Yukon xl or Suburban. But, since they no longer make one I will either have to buy an new truck and have it converted or convert my current truck. This is all "my dream truck" scenario though.
Converting your current truck wouldn't be too hard. I've been researching Dmax swaps and from what I can tell the Dmax mounts up with mostly factory parts in any chevy truck frame built from 1988 to now because GM uses the exact same tranny mounting points and close to the same IFS design since the OBS trucks started. PM me about it because I've found a lot of info if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This might sound silly as a truck owner but I would like on my next one, not as bouncy. Sounds silly but my dogs don't like it. Lol
I would like some luxury inferior.

·
6,019 Posts
This might sound silly as a truck owner but I would like on my next one, not as bouncy. Sounds silly but my dogs don't like it. Lol
I would like some luxury inferior.
Put some bilsteins on it! [MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION], I have also looked into it. If I had the money and was going to do it I would take it to a place like DuraBurb in south Florida. $17000 to have it done. New motor, trans, t-case, rear axle, instrument cluster, ecm, radiator, and more. everything works like it would as if it came out of the factory with the motor. You can take it to a GM dealer if you have an issue. They can plug in their scan tool and everything will be just like a 2500 truck. They may wonder how you did it though. If I were to do it, I would do it right.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I agree with [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] Bilsteins will help out the ride. I love mine.

Put some bilsteins on it! @Conlan Rose, I have also looked into it. If I had the money and was going to do it I would take it to a place like DuraBurb in south Florida. $17000 to have it done. New motor, trans, t-case, rear axle, instrument cluster, ecm, radiator, and more. everything works like it would as if it came out of the factory with the motor. You can take it to a GM dealer if you have an issue. They can plug in their scan tool and everything will be just like a 2500 truck. They may wonder how you did it though. If I were to do it, I would do it right.

I was looking into it for a 1999 K3500 total cost its alittle less than $25,000 and that for making the truck a fully built 800 hp monster. But I planned with assuming getting a donor truck or two and then parting them out to help bring down the price to that figure.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Witch ones???
Remember leveled not lifted, yet

·
6,019 Posts
I agree with @Pikey Bilsteins will help out the ride. I love mine.

I was looking into it for a 1999 K3500 total cost its alittle less than $25,000 and that for making the truck a fully built 800 hp monster. But I planned with assuming getting a donor truck or two and then parting them out to help bring down the price to that figure.
I emailed [MENTION=56732]DuraBurb[/MENTION] a few months ago and asked how much it would cost. For a NBS SUV you are looking at between $17,000 and $22,000 depending on the options you select. I think that that includes all new parts, the new hood and paint (the radiator and motor will not fit under the stock hood, has to be an HD hood)
I would rather let a pro do it then try it and miss something or screw it up.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Witch ones???
Remember leveled not lifted, yet
If not lifted then you would just need the 4600 series I believe but I may be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I emailed @DuraBurb a few months ago and asked how much it would cost. For a NBS SUV you are looking at between $17,000 and $22,000 depending on the options you select. I think that that includes all new parts, the new hood and paint (the radiator and motor will not fit under the stock hood, has to be an HD hood)
I would rather let a pro do it then try it and miss something or screw it up.
I'm gonna PM you about this just so we don't detract from [MENTION=53221]Curky[/MENTION]'s thread.

·
6,019 Posts
I have the 4600 series on my truck. I bought them at @AutoAnything, they price matched shockwarehouse, gave me the $30 off that shockwarehouse was offering, shipped them for free, and have much better costumer service than SW. After a few poor experiences with Shock warehouse's customer service (2 for me, multiple others for friends) I will never buy anything from them again nor will I ever recommend them to anyone I like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts