GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have changed both sensors and dropped the oil pan cleaned the screen and still no oil pressure any ideas

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Try removing the fuel pump relay and spark and keep cranking. Maybe oil passages need priming.

I think you can also prime the oil passages by manually turning the oil pump thru the distributor mounting home with a priming tool attached to a cordless drill.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Is this on a fresh rebuild or did you just loose pressure all of a sudden?

·
Registered
98 gmc k1500 5.7
556 Posts
he didnt give enough information , is my thought, there is not much to an oil pump , the only hard part is getting to it

·
Registered
6 Posts
no oil pressure at idle?..... at speed? cold? hot?
old motor?
these motors loose oil PSI over time due to slop so you need to run 20w50 oil in them

·
Registered
16,236 Posts
As I have said many times, oil flow is more important than that oil pressure.
You need sufficient pressure to get the oil to flow through the lifter and through the push rod, any more pressure is a waste of oil.
This is just my 2 cents, and with an other 98 we can buy a bag of chips; but using thicker oil to increase pressure runs the risk of not being able to lubricate some areas.
I agree, excessive wear may need a thicker oil, just be careful of what you select.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah with my motor i could literally see and hear the rockers clatter because no oil was reaching them.
lucas oil stabilizer helped
after that i just ran 20w50 and it was happy
but i see your flag is canada.
20w50 in the cold.... may not be as happy lol

but a hot running chevy small block in the desert.... it wanted that thick oil to fill out and flood through all the galleys at volume. 250,000 mile motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts