GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving my house one day started the truck ran normal temp was up to operating normal range... and I was driving it started to spit and sputter like it was out of gas... then it died... found under the hood a wire connected to the battery had a tear in it and was shorting out... after I taped it up I re started the truck... having a friend push it because my ignition switch was broken (don’t hate me it’s fixed now) it started back up but when I tried to go again I let the clutch slip and it just wanted to die and I made it across the street about 30 feet before it died again and hasn’t started back up Since... I’ve replaced the entire distributor, spark plugs, ignition coil, fuel pump, fuel filter and before I replaced the distributor I replaced the ignition control module as well...
it’s been sitting all summer and I need it fixed for school... any info would be awesome

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
We kinda need to know what you are working on in order to help you. I'm gonna guess it's a GM product because you are on a GM based site. Although, you wouldn't be the first Ford guy to show up asking questions.....

Reactions: PlaywithTBI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We kinda need to know what you are working on in order to help you. I'm gonna guess it's a GM product because you are on a GM based site. Although, you wouldn't be the first Ford guy to show up asking questions.....
It’s a 93 Chevy 350 z71 5speed

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Are you 100% certain you got the distributor properly stabbed back in?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The 3 key components to run are air, fuel, and spark. You need to first determine you are getting all 3. Have someone cycle the key while you watch the injectors in the throttle body to make sure they are giving a shot of fuel. This will insure you are getting fuel, and also air since you will have the air cleaner off to watch for fuel. If fuel is present, get a spark tester on one of the plug wires to make sure it's getting proper spark. If all those are there, the culprit will be the proper timing of the air-fuel mixture-spark being correct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no fuel coming from the injectors and there is no spark coming from any spark plug... I’m 99 percent sure I installed the distributor right... it slid in exactly as the old one came out and I marked in the firewall with a sharpie exactly where the rotor button was facing when I pulled the original one out

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
A buddy of mine had his 87 stop dead in its tracks because the distributor plug for the ICM got disconnected. It fell out because it wasn’t seated all the way. Just verifying that everything got installed correctly.

Reactions: PlaywithTBI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It just bogged out like it was running out of gas and when you went to let the clutch out to take off it just bogged down under any load and would idle for a second then died and hasn’t started since

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The gauges also jumped around like there was a possible short somewhere... could it be the ecu went bad? Crank sensor? Cam sensor?

·
Registered
675 Posts
The gauges also jumped around like there was a possible short somewhere... could it be the ecu went bad? Crank sensor? Cam sensor?
Maybe a bad ground? That would cause the gauges to jump too. If your engine is a 93 TBI, it doesn't have a crank or cam sensor and the gauges aren't fed from the ECM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe a bad ground? That would cause the gauges to jump too. If your engine is a 93 TBI, it doesn't have a crank or cam sensor and the gauges aren't fed from the ECM.
Which ground should I check cause I know the fuel pump one is fine cause I recently replaced it... and I know the ground for the battery is fine... I just don’t know where to start on this thing anymore

·
Registered
675 Posts
Which ground should I check cause I know the fuel pump one is fine cause I recently replaced it... and I know the ground for the battery is fine
When you replaced those grounds did you clean the area they are bolted to?

IIRC there's a ground under the dash near the steering column, other grounds are 2 wires on/next to the T-Stat housing (for the ECM), battery to front accessory bracket of engine, battery to wheel well, block to frame, passenger side rear of head to fire wall (a lot of people neglect to do this one when installing the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes I cleaned the ground for the fuel pump and the ground for the battery on the engine on the intake manifold... other than that that’s all over replaced

1 - 13 of 13 Posts