GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Suburban stopped running as I was driving along at about 30 mph, and the low oil pressure light came on and the truck died.

It will crank, but will not start.

I noticed a couple of other things. I had about 1/3 of a tank, and no low fuel light on, but once it died, the fuel guage is not reading any fuel. Also, the dear shift indicator box that tells you what gear you are in is not lighting up. I put another 5 gallons of fuel in and still nothing is registering on the fuel guage.

I get the feeling there is some sort of protective mode for the car, so that if there is low oil pressure you do not blow it up.

I tried quick start to eliminate fuel supply as the problem, and when I checked for spark, there is none.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site! Have you tried to add oil to it? I know that GM has a low oil pressure sending unit that will do that to protect the engine in the event of low oil so try adding oil and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
Mght also be a blownfuse. The gear indicator should work no matter what. Simply turning the key to the on position should yield the gear. Check your fuses and oil level. Right now might just be a good time to change the oil. Check to make sure you don't have any large metal stuff in the oil as it's draining... Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. I checked it and it was full. No loud noise or anything when it stopped. It just kind of shut off.

When I crank it, I am getting a 40 lbs reading on the guage while it is cranking.

I checked some of the fuses, but I guess I need to play with the relays and the fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI...the protection system is setup so that if you lose oil pressure, the fuel pump will shut off. If you start having long cranks before the motor will start, it is due to this protection system usually. What happens is the fuel pump relay goes bad so you don't have any fuel pressure, but as you crank the motor the oil pressure rises up and once it gets past 40psi(I think), it bypasses the relay and turns on the fuel pump which starts the motor. So if you have long crank times...check your fuel pump relay!!

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI...the protection system is setup so that if you lose oil pressure, the fuel pump will shut off. If you start having long cranks before the motor will start, it is due to this protection system usually. What happens is the fuel pump relay goes bad so you don't have any fuel pressure, but as you crank the motor the oil pressure rises up and once it gets past 40psi(I think), it bypasses the relay and turns on the fuel pump which starts the motor. So if you have long crank times...check your fuel pump relay!!

Doug
I have a similar problem except my 2012 tahoe won't even crank. I've replaced the oil pressure sensor but I'm stumped on what to do next.

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
Ok, I don't know if there is a starter interlock, or not; but let's assume there is.

Here's my thoughts, the PCM does not know the oil pressure is low before the engine starts, the engine needs to be running before oil pressure builds.

Therefore, if the is a starter interlock, the PCM is relying on previous start info
And, if at that time the pressure was low, the PCM may have set a flag to disable the starter circuit.
So, I'm thinking you need to reset the PCM.
Try a 30 mins battery disconnection (neg cable).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem except my 2012 tahoe won't even crank. I've replaced the oil pressure sensor but I'm stumped on what to do next.
Have you figured out what the fix was? I now have the same issue. Shut off due to low oil pressure, just clicks once when trying to start after sensor and oil replacement. Gas gauge doesn't register. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you figured out what the fix was? I now have the same issue. Shut off due to low oil pressure, just clicks once when trying to start after sensor and oil replacement. Gas gauge doesn't register. Any help would be greatly appreciated
No I havent gotten it figured out so same here. If you hear anything please let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have same issue with my yukon xl denali 6.0L wife was driving and low oil pressure light came on on odometer display and truck just shut off. I've replaced oil filter bypass valve, oil pickup tube and o ring, oil pump (twice), oil pressure sensor (3 times), crank sensor, crank position sensor( 3 times as well) cause some say its bad sensor even when it's new, but after all that still won't pick up oil from the pan. Disconnected my oil pressure sensor and cranked it over to see if it pushes oil out, but nothing dry as ever.

I'm stomped. Did spark test got spark in all cylinders. And gas pressure test hitting at 60psi and stays.

I crank over engine, cranks for about 3 cycles and stops. No pressure on oil gauge. Gas has a full tank. I here the fuel pump when I turn key to on position.

Can't seem to figure this out. But gonna tear into it 2marow and see if my camshaft bearings shifted or wore out. But it seems oil it not being pumped from oil pump which I replaced twice.

Anybody come across this as well???

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
Did you drop the pan? The end of the pickup tube might be plugged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts