GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i have 2000 silverado extended cab, LT version. it developed a very annoying hissing noise coming mostly from the small window behind me, one on the side, that pivots out to open. retightening latch does not do any difference. i cleaned weatherstripping as much as i could reach, it's still there. i drove for 456 miles in it monday, and at hwy speeds it is very, very annoying after awhile.
anyone came up with a bright idea how to fix it, short of caulking the window? i don't open it at all.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm like you....those little noises are annoying!

Are you sure it's from the window? Silverado's are notorious for sagging hinges that cause an air leak at the door frame. You will see cracks in the paint around the hinge points. You could test your theory with a little peanut butter. Use it like you would silicone and that would seal any leak temporarily. If the noise doesn't stop, check the hinges. If it does.......you might just go with the silicone solution.

I never opened the quarter windows on my Silverado either and would be tempted to add a dab of silicone to fix it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hah... that's possible, though i doubt. it's coming from behind my left shoulder/ear, and there's no door there. i have a 3 door one.
as a matter of fact, i got so much ticked with it that i have put some caulk underneath the weatherization. it did not help completely, but changed the pitch of the noise. also, i have noticed that that noise is changing, depending on what pavement i'm driving on and wet/dry. i almost decided that it's road noise from tires, but then how would i hear it coming in from the rear tire in a truck?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts