GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Sub. When I bought it from the previous owner, he told me that the front power windows stopped working at the same time. He's guessing it's a fuse somewhere, but this doesn't sound right to me. I would think that the fuse would be for all the power windows, not just the front 2 and another for the 2 rear windows. What could be wrong with the windows that would cause both front power windows to cease working simultaneously? Thanks

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Sorry should have asked before. The pass front window doesn't work with the pass switch or the driver's switch? Is that correct?

The only thing I can think of is that some of the printed circuit boards used in these trucks had poor solder mask used on them. Pinhole voids where humidity could get in
and corrode the etchings eventually makes them fail. From the schematic, the only thing in common between the two front windows is the ground, and that comes in on single
line, and splits off inside the circuit board that holds the switches.

The other possibility is that the two front windows are most likely to be used more often than the rear. The motors that operate the windows use brushes, and those brushes
do wear out after a time.

The final option is there is a short in the wiring, but I'm leaning more toward the switch being bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 98% sure that that is the case. I have not actually taken delivery on the truck yet, and I did not bother to check it out for myself. However, I'm sure if the passenger side switch worked, he would have told me. The gentleman that previously owned it is not mechanically savvy, but he knows his way around basic troubleshooting that checking the other switch would entail. So, in short, I'd say that neither side switch works. However, the rear windows operate fine from their respective doors and the driver master control. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts