GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys my name is Lee and I drive an '87 suburban 4x4 with a 6.5L diesel. Lookin forward to any help this site can give me!

Here's a pic of my beast lol

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site Lee!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey Lee, Welcome. That is beautiful straight ole truck you've got there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good all terrain tire for my truck...mine are starting to go bald and was wanting to go up in size a little bit as well. Right now there are 265/75s on there and was wanting to know how much bigger I could go without needing a lift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to a tire shop and got a price on some 285/75 BF Goodrich all terrain TA's today and they were around $175 a piece. Is that about normal price for those or does anyone know a place to get some for cheaper?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...those look like a pretty good tire...might have to give those a try...now just have to save up a couple paychecks...:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hey guys my name is Lee and I drive an '87 suburban 4x4 with a 6.5L diesel. Lookin forward to any help this site can give me!

Here's a pic of my beast lol

Welcome to the club. Great looking Suburban.

Honestly, I've never bought 285/75's so I'm not sure what the best price is, but it does sound a little bit high. Everything is negotiable. Does that include the installation service or a road warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the site Lee, Don't leave that 'burb in my neighborhood...I need that brush guard LOL!! Nice truck mang... :great: Kerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the club. Great looking Suburban.

Honestly, I've never bought 285/75's so I'm not sure what the best price is, but it does sound a little bit high. Everything is negotiable. Does that include the installation service or a road warranty.
Thanks for the compliments:)

They said after taxes, mounting and balancing and installation it would be around $900:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I can get a set for cost up at work, and I just remembered we have a mounting and balancing machine too. So I'm gonna try and go that route for sure lol.

Welcome to the site Lee, Don't leave that 'burb in my neighborhood...I need that brush guard LOL!! Nice truck mang... :great: Kerry

Haha well now if it comes up missing I know my first suspect! :lol:

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nice looking piece of equipment-serious looking.

Hey, pretty nice looking piece of equipment; it has a serious, purposeful look to it(not exactly pretty, but it has a clean,well cared for look-just like a tool that was used, but taken care of).It really encourages me that my 1998 Burb(196,000 miles 8 days of ownership) will keep going for the several years it needs to.We(3 adults,2 greyhounds,4 cats, and stuff) need it to get out of town in hurricane season.Short of $$,so I have to keep it up and runnning.
What sort of mpg does it get? A buddy had a 1984 or so(yes,it had some problems like many ofl those early GM did) and he claimed 25mpg on the hy!! I figured he was BSing, but other folks have told me the same-the early non turbo GM diesel got spectacular mpg on the hy at 55mph?I know it was low powered-well under 150 hp I think, but 25mpg for a big beast like that is good no matter how low powered it was.
Oh well, nice truck.
Charlie

·
Registered
136 Posts
nice burb and welcome to the site

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, pretty nice looking piece of equipment; it has a serious, purposeful look to it(not exactly pretty, but it has a clean,well cared for look-just like a tool that was used, but taken care of).It really encourages me that my 1998 Burb(196,000 miles 8 days of ownership) will keep going for the several years it needs to.We(3 adults,2 greyhounds,4 cats, and stuff) need it to get out of town in hurricane season.Short of $$,so I have to keep it up and runnning.
What sort of mpg does it get? A buddy had a 1984 or so(yes,it had some problems like many ofl those early GM did) and he claimed 25mpg on the hy!! I figured he was BSing, but other folks have told me the same-the early non turbo GM diesel got spectacular mpg on the hy at 55mph?I know it was low powered-well under 150 hp I think, but 25mpg for a big beast like that is good no matter how low powered it was.
Oh well, nice truck.
Charlie
The gas mileage is one of the reasons I love this truck. I should be around 20mpg but I'm not sure cuz I don't have a trip odometer and my regular odometer is a little off. I make about a 20 mile trip to and from work everyday, not to mention all the other driving and a full tank lasts me close to 2 weeks. I'm pretty happy with it:biggrin:

I'm pretty pissed though because today I was in a hurry and was going through a drivethrough bank and kind of smashed up the passenger side of my suburban:mad: Pisses me off because my burban was one of the few straight bodied, nice looking ones in this town and now it's ruined because of me being in a hurry...oh well...live and learn I guess...:sarcastic:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I recently did tires on my 95 burb and that was about what i was quoted for 265 75's in the BFG's. I bought general grabber A/T 2's and im very happy with them. I payed around 119 per tire. I haven't had them long but so far i am 100% satisfied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts