GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I am new here....

Okay i will try my best describe this problem. I have a 1998 GMC Suburban 5.7 SLT and its all stock with 163K miles.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but only on like early 90s on back...lol
It actually sounds like the timing is really off. It will sit there and turn over fast for a couple of seconds, then real slow as if the starter is drawing to many amps or something. I even put my jumper box on it, just to be sure it had plenty of battery power, but still does the exact same thing. Funny thing is, that whenever it does turn over fast for like 2 solid seconds, it still doesn't start. I even tried to make sure it was getting fuel by spraying starting fluid, and it didn't make a difference either........

I have had some people say it could be a cam sensor, or crank sensor...But, if that were true, then wouldn't it still turn over fast the whole time?

Thanx in advance.....

I'm just trying to avoid a 100.00 tow bill if possible...lol

·
1,457 Posts
This is a difficult problem to solve over the internet, but you can try a simple thing I don't know where you live but if it's wet you can try to remove the distributor cap with the two screws and blow in it with a hairdryer it could be moister in the cap.

Welcome to the site :sign0016:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay here's what happened. I was told to undo the battery for awhile and hook it back up, and see if it still does it or not.

I did this yesterday, and after being undone for an hour, i hooked the cables back up, and when i started it, it fired right up, but was idling very rough.
I gave it more gas to about 3K RPMs, and after about 10 seconds it finally smoothed out, and now its starts on a dime and runs perfect again.
Its ran fine the rest of yesterday and today, so im not really sure what was wrong, but right now its as if nothing happened, so i guess we will wait and see if it does it again.
Thanx for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts