GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've spent quite a bit of time around GMTC since I originally joined, I started to notice something quite frustrating upon my most recent return after a week away from the site. Currently, each thread only allows 10 posts per page before creating a new page. Is it just me, or does that seem pretty low? I feel like I'm spending more time clicking 'next' than I am scrolling and thoroughly reading the 10 posts. I'm exaggerating of course, but I'm wondering...

(To Steve and/or other site mods/designers), is there any particular reason that we're set to 10 pages per thread? It seems like, with the increase in membership lately, the site is experiencing more activity and it could be advantageous to allow a bit more.

Then again, maybe it's just me. What does everybody think?

As a side note, I have reasonable experience administering websites but none whatsoever in administering forum-based sites. As such, I'm really out of my element (hence the question).

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
From what i understand and the other mods, and steve will probably know more. Alright the speed of the site is directly related to the load time, i think that the 10 posts per page allow for a faster loading time.
Also on all of the forums that i belong to the max is 10 per page. so that is my understanding (which is quite limited i might add lol).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does make sense, murdog. I appreciate your input.

I did notice, too that you can change this setting individually from 'General Settings' within the Control Panel of your profile.

I was just wondering the reasoning but load time makes perfect sense.

I'm in a watch forum where the forum default is 30 posts per thread. That, honestly, is a bit excessive in my opinion. Also in a cigar forum where the default is 20, a 1911 (pistol) forum where the default is 15, an audio forum with 15, etc.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Hey Vin, you can go back to the page that you screened on your post above & change your settings from the 10 per page to 20, 30, 40 per page. I've had mine set at 20 for several months & the site didn't automatically set it back when they made the other changes.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I run 40 posts per page. It takes a few seconds longer to load the page, but once it loads I can scroll through posts really fast. On another forum I frequent, I have it show me 100 posts at a time, and over there I need it because a thread can rack up over 100 posts in less than a day easily.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I went ahead and changed from the default (10) to 20 and browsing the site is a little smoother now.

100 posts per page must be intense, Crawdaddy! The watch forum that Im on gets quite a bit of traffic too (hence the 30 post default). It's really hard to keep up with compared to GMTC. It's easier to relax at the GMTC forums. LoL That's why I stay here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts