GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 99 Silverado and recently installed a cat back custon exhaust. I would like to hollow out or remove the cats for improved exhaust flow. I've heard of these "dummy" sensors that fool the computer into thinking it is getting a good signal. My question is, there are four O2's, would I need to replace the ones after the cats only? Also, anyone know where to find these simulators? And finally, is this a good idea, or should I not mess with the system? Sorry so many questions! :neutral:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to www.mountain-mods.com and you can buy a set of simulators with shipping for under $40.00. Make sure you keep some sort of muffler for back pressure or the motor won't run. Oh yeah I forgot you only need to install these simulators after the cat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll be looking into them soon.:great:
Please keep in mind that what you are proposing is illegal in all 50 states, and has been shown to not increase performance by more than a few horsepower. Also, if you don't have a turbo in the system, your performance may actually suffer, especially during towing, because the reduced back pressure will lower your torque numbers.

A good alternative that is still 50 state legal and wont ruin the environment would be to buy "race" cats, which are less restrictive, have a better flow pattern, but still purge CO from your exhaust and convert it to water.

Unless you are putting your truck on the track, I can't honestly think of a reason to get rid of your cats. And I think that it would be selfish to do so, as the increased scruitiny, environmental impact, and subsequent regulation caused by the few who do this impacts all of us.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gee, thanks mr. wizzard.......GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!
Thats fine, but when the new california emmisions check stations go nation wide, don't come crying to me. But you can remember that I TOLD YOU SO!.

Really, I'm just trying to help you out. Your picture seems to indicate that you tow alot, and I was trying to suggest that deleting the cats will actually lower your performance, as the loss of torque will be more impactful to you than the minimal gain in horsepower.

I'm sorry I tried to help, really, I am.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am fully aware of the laws being made to reduce emissions and also fully aware of the steps needed to make subsequent torque gains. Thanks anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts