GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have always squeaked since the day i drove it off the lot...of course the dealer refused to change them.

So recently it got so bad it drove me nuts and its embarrassing to have a nice truck but the damn braked squeal like a shot javelina.

I thought it was the front ones and changed out the pads to "Posi Quiet" ceramic pads and it helped...so I thought..until today I heard a slight squeal from the rear brakes:grrrrrr:

I have never done drum brakes....are the ones on these newer trucks still have all those damn springs etc? Ya I know they probably do...anyone have any tips before Im attempt them?

Also i looked for a drum to disk conversion kit and couldnt really find anything.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It really is quite easy just be sure you clean everything up really well is all i can say. And the pads may not even be close to bad you might just have that much dust caked up inside the drums. I would pull the rims, and drums off and do an inspection because i have seen the factory drum pads last 150K miles, and they just end up getting brake dust built up causing them to squeek.

·
Registered
11 Posts
make sure you clean out the inside of the new drum also with a product such as brake cleaner, as the oil they use to prevent rust during manufacturing/shipping/receiving will allow the brakes to seize to the drum eventually.... also, as far as the silverado/sierra goes, i am not quite sure if the have the nails with retaining clips to hold the pads in around the the brake adjusting screw. but be careful not to lose the nails if it does!

if you need any more help let us know!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really is quite easy just be sure you clean everything up really well is all i can say. And the pads may not even be close to bad you might just have that much dust caked up inside the drums. I would pull the rims, and drums off and do an inspection because i have seen the factory drum pads last 150K miles, and they just end up getting brake dust built up causing them to squeek.
Ya the front Pads still had alot of pad left....not even close to needing replaced. They just squeaked no matter what you did. Iam sure the drums are still good and the shoes...i haven't tried any anti squeak to clean the drums yet. Iam going to try that before replacing the shoes.

make sure you clean out the inside of the new drum also with a product such as brake cleaner, as the oil they use to prevent rust during manufacturing/shipping/receiving will allow the brakes to seize to the drum eventually.... also, as far as the silverado/sierra goes, i am not quite sure if the have the nails with retaining clips to hold the pads in around the the brake adjusting screw. but be careful not to lose the nails if it does!

if you need any more help let us know!
Oh trust me I will be calling someone if I can't stop :) !

·
Registered
527 Posts
what year is your truck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lets see, pads are good, rotors are good, truck stops good. I don't see the problem. Don't try and solve a non existent problem and squeaking doesn't mean anything. Glad to see the dealer didn't replace good parts. Do you use the brakes are hard enough? Squeaking happens a lot of time because the driver doesn't use the brakes hard enough. Do 5 or 6 hard stops from 40 mph coming almost to a stop without actually stopping. See if the squeaking goes away. If it doesn't it really isn't an issue.

Bill

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets see, pads are good, rotors are good, truck stops good. I don't see the problem. Don't try and solve a non existent problem and squeaking doesn't mean anything. Glad to see the dealer didn't replace good parts. Do you use the brakes are hard enough? Squeaking happens a lot of time because the driver doesn't use the brakes hard enough. Do 5 or 6 hard stops from 40 mph coming almost to a stop without actually stopping. See if the squeaking goes away. If it doesn't it really isn't an issue.

Bill
Well bil I don't think a brand new truck with 11 miles on it should have squeaky brakes. I owned 3 new dodge trucks and never had an issue with squeaky brakes ever! My front disc brakes squeaked no matter what, cleaned them no help....stopping hard..ya......no help.

No, its not a mechanical problem, however, iam sorry bill but I like my stuff to work right and loud, screeching brakes are not going to cut it for me...ITS A PROBLEM. Now the rears are drum...all they needed was brake cleaner....

Funny you mention the dealer....even they said the brake pads GM uses are good pads but are notorious for excessive squeaking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are serious about looking at a drum to disc conversion even after you fixed your brake squealing check out ssbrakes.com. They make a conversion and you can get them with 1 or 3 piston calipers. I also heard about a swap with an HD axle because you could get disc brakes on them. I haven't done a lot of research down that road but it might be worth checking out. I'm looking to do a complete brake swap all the way around on my 07. Just gotta save up the funds first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts